The parakeet is a sweet-natured, intelligent little bird that makes a wonderful pet for both the novice and expert bird-keeper. Also known as the Budgie, these colorful birds enjoy singing, can be taught some simple tricks, and may even pick up a word or two.
However, like any other pet, we bring into our lives, we must be prepared to provide our new feathered friend with the top care, this includes the cage we expect it to live out its life in.
In this post, we will cover some guidelines to follow when choosing the perfect parakeet cage, the basic care of this enclosure, and our top picks for the best parakeet cage on the market today.
Let's get started.
Our Top Picks for the Best Parakeet Cage
1. Prevue Hendryx Flight Cage
If you want to double the fun of having a pet parakeet, the Prevue Hendryx Flight Cage is a perfect fit for two birds. It measures a generous 26" long by 14" wide by 36" high with our recommended ½ inch bar spacing. The pull-out tray and two hinged access doors make cleaning a snap, as well as the two hooded cups to help keep birdies food and water waste-free. This unit is durable and also includes four wood perches, but there's still plenty of room to add some fun extras.
- Large enough for two parakeets
- Pull-out cleaning tray
- Two large doors for easy access
- Hooded food/water cups
- Removable bottom grille for easy cleaning
- Comes with four wood perches
- Reasonably priced
- Only available in black and brown
2. Prevue Hendryx Pet Products Wrought Iron Flight Cage
Your parakeet can throw a party in this spacious wrought iron cage. It measures a whopping 31" long by 20.5" wide by 53" high with ½ inch spaced vertical bars. Both the grille and bottom tray pull out for easy cleaning, and the durable wrought iron is not only beautiful to look at, but it is also simple to wipe clean.
Other features of the Prevue Hendryx Flight Cage is the ease of access you will find with two doors (one at the top and one at the bottom of the unit). This cage also comes equipped with a rolling stand so you can move it from one room to another to change up your birds' scenery.
- Spacious cage is roomy enough for multiple birds
- Pull out tray for easy cleaning
- Cage sits on a stand with rolling casters and lower shelf for added storage
- Upper and lower doors for ease of access
- Unit comes with three perches and four plastic, double cups
- Made from wrought iron
- May be considered pricey.
3. Vision Bird Cage Model M02 - Medium
There's plenty of climbing space in the Vision Bird Cage. It comes equipped with four multi-grip perches that promote circulation to your little feathered friend. The cage detaches from the unique debris guard bottom that reduces mess and provides easy maintenance of the unit. Plus, it can accommodate multiple types of litter, and its raised ridges help circulate air throughout the cage.
The Vision Bird Cage has double pivoting doors for versatility and outside access to both the food and water cups to help further reduce the stress on your parakeet.
- Comes with four multi-grip perches to help prevent foot problems
- Perches slide through the bars from the exterior and lock into place
- Easy to clean design
- Pivoting doors open in and out
- Exterior access to foot/water cups reduces stress on the birds
- Double compartment food cup allows for different food options
- Cage has carrying handles for easy transporting
- Snap-fit assembly makes it easy to take apart and put back together.
- Comes in three sizes
- Plastic shields protect food and water from droppings.
- May be considered pricey
- Only graphics on assembly instructions
4. Yaheetech 61" Iron Bird Cages
The Yaheetech 61" is a "deluxe apartment in the sky" for you pet parakeet (and a friend). This durable cage is made from wrought iron, so it's sure to last. It measures in at a generous 17.9" wide by 17.9" long by 30.5" high with an added play area on top that includes a wooden perch, a ladder, two stainless steel bowls, and a catch-all tray for those doodie-droppings.
Another unique feature of the Yaheetech birdcage is the seed guard. This sturdy addition catches those flying seeds and debris to help reduce the mess under and around your pet's home. The grilles and trays all have convenient handles to help with cleaning, and the heavy-duty ball casters make moving this cage around a snap.
- Includes four stainless steel bowls and two wooden perches
- Swing-out door allow for easy filling of food and water dishes
- Bungee rope toy with a "ring" bell is also included
- Unit is on quiet casters for easy moving
- Large enough to accommodate two parakeets
- Top play area for added fun
- Seed guard catches more waste
- Heavy-duty button lock for added security
- Requires time to assemble
- Have to remove the screws to take apart the unit
- A bigger unit equals a heftier price tag
5. Mcage Large Cage with Removable Stand
Your parakeet will love the space he has to spread his wings in this 32" long by 18" wide by 64" high wrought iron cage. And you'll love the ease of cleaning and overall appearance of the Mcage. This unit has an extra wide front door, making it a snap to decorate, clean, or just let your feathery pals in and out of the unit.
The slide-out tray and extra storage are both a must-have for convenience, along with the fact that the entire cage sits safely on a wrought iron stand with easy-roll casters.
- Large cage is suitable for two parakeets
- Made from durable wrought iron in either black or white finish
- Sits on a wrought iron stand with easy-roll casters
- Extra-large front door with a secure lock
- Pull out grille and tray for ease of cleaning
- Simplistic cage with no added features
- Does not have protective shields for food/water dishes
6. Prevue Hendryx Triple Roof Bird Cage
Economy meets style with this Prevue Hendryx Triple Roof Bird Cage. The cage measures a cozy 26" long by 14" wide by 22.5" high which includes two protected seed and water cups and four wooden perches. The removable grille and slide-out tray will help with those daily cleanings and the double hangers on the peaked roofs will ensure a safe and secure way to keep your pets off the floor.
- Easy to clean
- Functional and stylish
- Available in blue and green
- Easy to assemble
- Not suitable for multiple birds
- Stand for this unit is not available
7. Prevue Hampton Deluxe Cage System with Stand
The Prevue Hampton Deluxe is two cages in one! Use it as a long rectangular cage, or pop in the divider and you have two smaller units - perfect for breeding birds. The entire unit measures 37.5" long by 18" wide by 20.5" high with ½ bar spacing. Each cage comes equipped with two front doors (and locking mechanism), side nesting doors, and pull out trays so cleaning won't be a hassle.
This bird cage also sits nicely on its own secure stand with easy-roll casters in a Black Hammertone powder finish that will fit nicely into any decor.
- Spacious enough for multiple birds
- Durable - made from wrought iron
- Easy to clean
- Stackable when used with the Hampton Deluxe Divided Breeder bird cage F075.
- Four perches and four plastic cups included
- Moveable stand with built-in bottom shelf
- May be considered pricey
- No seed guards so the unit could be messy
8. Vision Hagen 2 Bird Cage
Keep the majority of your bird's seed-debris inside the cage with the Vision Hagen 2 Bird Cage. The deep base, seed cup locations, and the seed guard all help trap more of the mess inside the unit - this means less clean up for you. When it's time to clean your parakeet's cage, simply separate the base from the top portion, discard the litter, wipe clean and reattach.
The Vision Hagen 2 Bird Cage is a good choice for a parakeet and measures in at 24" long by 15" wide by 20.5" high. Another great feature about this unit is the double pivoting doors that rotate out at a 90-degree angle, so your bird has a landing perch when it's time to go back into his cage.
- Stylish and functional
- Separate doors located outside of the dishes helps reduce stress when feeding.
- The unit separates for easy cleaning
- Two 90-degree angle pivoting front doors
- Multi-grip perches help the circulation in your bird's feet
- Deep base reduces debris scatter
- Not recommended for suspending
- May be considered pricey
9. Prevue Jumbo Scrollwork Bird Cage
"Beautifully vintage" is the first thing you will say about the Prevue Jumbo Scrollwork Bird Cage. Inspired by times gone by, this bird cage offers up style as well as functionality. It measures 18" long by 18" wide, by 25" high with ⅝-inch bar spacing. It includes two plastic perches as well as two plastic hooded seed and water cups.
The tray and bottom grille both slide out for easy cleaning, while the top scrolled hook is strong and secure enough to suspend the unit from the ceiling.
- Pretty design
- Easy to clean
- Economically priced
- Not suitable for multiple birds
- Accessories are made from plastic
- No flight room
10. You & Me Parakeet Ranch House Cage, Navy
Send your parakeet to a cozy ranch in this You & Me Parakeet Ranch House Cage. It measures in at 16" long by 11.8" wide by 22" high - perfect for one bird. This bird cage comes equipped with two ½-inch diameter wooden perches and two covered plastic food and water dishes. Three slide-up doors at the front of the cage allow for easy access of both your pet bird and the food and water dishes. The wire part of the cage separates from the durable plastic bottom, and the removable grate and slide-out tray all add up to easy cleaning for you. Plus, the double-peaked "roofs" are not only functional, but they look great, too!
- Economically priced
- Two wooden perches and two plastic dishes included
- Removable grate and slide-out tray for easy cleaning
- Peaked double roofs are both fashionable and functionable.
- Three access doors; two for removing of food and water dishes, one entry point
- Only suitable for one parakeet
- Only available in navy blue
Guidelines for Choosing a Parakeet Cage
Bringing a parakeet into your home isn't as simple as picking out the bird, and placing it into a cage for it to adorn your living space. This living, breathing, feeling creature will need some considerations, especially the cage. Read through these guidelines to ensure you are giving your parakeet the best possible home (inside your home).
Location is Important
Before you purchase a parakeet cage, know where you are going to place it - this helps you buy accordingly. Keep in mind that your parakeet needs to be away from direct sunlight, and drafts, but he still needs to be a part of the family. Tucking birdie away in an isolated room/area is not a healthy choice for your new pet.
The Proper Cage Size
As with any species of a pet bird, you should buy the biggest cage you can afford. However, some minimums must be met for the health and well-being of your pet parakeet.
If you are housing one bird, the cage should be a minimum of 20 inches long, by 18 inches wide, by 18 inches high. Remember, your bird's tail and head should not be touching the cage when its in a sitting position. He should also be able to move around unrestricted and be able to stretch out and flap his wings. Additionally, take into consideration any toys, perches, and food/water dishes you have added, as they will reduce your pet's overall "living" space.
The spacing of the bars is also an important factor in buying a parakeet cage. They can't be too wide, or your feathered friend may squeeze through. For parakeets, it is recommended the bars be a ½ inch apart.
When choosing a cage size, also remember that your bird will need toys to help pass the time (especially if he is alone). Allow more space in your cage for a variety of hanging "decorations."
Choose the Right Shape
Choosing a round cage may be detrimental to the psychological health of your bird. It has been reported that round cages create a sense of frustration for a bird. This is because the bird continues to climb around and around the circular area, never reaching the end. For this reason, angular cages are the best choice.
Quality is Key
There's no sense purchasing a poorly designed and crafted cage, sure it may save you money today, but you will eventually just end up replacing it down the road. To ensure your purchase is worthy of your feathered friend, you will want the product to be sturdy, without any loose parts, or sharp edges. The best cages will be made from stainless steel and will be designed for easy cleaning with a pull-out tray.
Although wooden cages may look "cool," they are a nightmare to keep clean. This is because wood traps moisture which can lead to the growth of bacteria. Plus, if your bird decides to start gnawing on the enclosure, it won't take long before it has been chewed to bits.
Basic Birdcage Care
A clean cage means a healthier and happier bird. Here's how to keep your parakeet cage clean as a whistle.
There are a few daily tasks you will have to perform to keep your bird's cage clean. First, pull the tray and empty into the garbage. Wipe with a damp cloth, dry, and replace the lining material. For birds, newspaper, paper bags, or corn cob is recommended.
Empty and clean the food and water dishes every day. Wash the food containers in mild dish soap, rinse, dry thoroughly, and refill. If you are using a water bottle, use a bottle brush to scrub the inside to prevent algae from growing.
Remove the toys, perches, and ladders and clean with a non-toxic and bird-friendly cleaner (available online or in pet retailers). If you have wooden toys or perches, allow these to dry in a warm location or direct sunlight. Remember when placing perches, or ladders to keep them positioned away from the food and water dishes to avoid contamination from your bird's droppings.
Wipe down the bars, and base of your birdcage, as well. If you are using a cleaner, be sure to rewipe the cage to rid it of any cleaner residue.
Pick a date on the calendar to completely strip your bird's cage for a thorough cleaning. Put your parakeet in a safe, bird-proof room to fly and explore while you are doing this task.
Use a tub of warm soapy water and place the cage into it for a good scrubbing. Clean all the surfaces, and rinse well. Allow the cage and perches to completely dry before you put it back together. Now return your parakeet to its spotless home.