Bunnies make wonderful pets and they have distinctive personalities to boot. One can be as playful and goofy as a puppy, as independent and mysterious as a cat, or as affectionate and loyal as a dog. However, bunnies are among the most fragile creatures and they always fall under the prey category. So, be sure to get the best rabbit hutch for your cottontails before you bring a pair at home. The right hutch can make your bunnies live comfortably and securely, so you won’t have to worry whether your grumpy cat or the racoon next door is bullying your pets.
Building a rabbit hutch is no child’s play and it is much better to choose one of the best units the market has to offer. However, a wide variety will bound to confuse you and there are several factors to take into account before you get one. Don’t worry as we provided a concise buying guide so you will learn what’s in and what’s out when it comes to rabbit hutches. Before we head to that section, let’s take a look at 10 of the best outdoor hutches for rabbits.
10 Best Outdoor Hutches for Rabbits
1. Purlove Pet Wooden Cottage
Best Large Outdoor Rabbit Hutch
If you wish to upgrade your bunnies’ home, the Purlove Pet Wooden Cottage is the one to buy. This cottage is made with Cypress Fir wood to lend an inviting ambiance and a continuous whiff of fresh air for your woodland friends. It is also designed to provide your bunnies plenty of range.
The ground floor allows you to get a load of your bunnies’ cuteness as they go about their business, while the second floor grants your bunnies the privacy and relaxation they need when it’s time to catch z‘s. We’re also pretty sure your rambunctious rabbits will love to do laps up and down the stairs, which connects both levels!
Moreover, this rabbit hutch is ideal for both indoor and outdoor use. The nesting box is insulated and is covered with a weatherproof asphalt roof to make sure your pets stay toasty and dry on a rainy day. Chow time and cuddling sessions are also a cinch to do, as the cottage features multiple entryways.
If you’re not a handy person, you will find relief that this rabbit hutch is such a breeze to put together. The pieces have a number stamped on it with purple ink and the directions referenced these numbers in the provided illustrations.
The only thing we would note is to let it air out in the backyard before you bring it inside if you plan to use it indoors, as it has an overpowering scent due to the wood. Other than that, the Purlove Pet Wooden Cottage is perfect for the amount charged.
This cottage measures 62” x 18” x 36.8”.
- a solid cottage-style hutch made with Cypress Fir wood that is coated using non-toxic paint
- wire mesh panels are powder-coated to prevent rust
- features two floors
- dual weatherproof asphalt roofs
- suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- has 3 entry doors with locks
- has 3 sliding metal pans for easy clean-up
- fairly easy to assemble
- emits a strong odor after unboxing
2. SmithBuilt 48” Two-Story Wooden Rabbit Hutch
Best Easy-To-Clean Rabbit Hutch
You probably know by now that rabbits poop and pee a lot, so you want a rabbit hutch that is not burdensome to clean. Introducing, the SmithBuilt 48” Two-Story Wooden Rabbit Hutch. This rabbit hutch is a hard act to follow when it comes to cleaning. It comes with a removable sliding tray in composite ABS plastic that covers a majority of the upper level. Not to mention its doors are strategically placed to make cleaning as quickly as possible.
The SmithBuilt 48” Two-Story Wooden Rabbit Hutch is basically a mini coop made with solid fir wood. It is complete with a cozy sleeping nook, a spacious playground, and a non-skid ramp for safe travels between floors. A door is built to separate the floors, allowing for a secure containment for each level.
Moreover, this wooden house is treated to afford a good level of resistance against the elements and pests, such as termites and ants. Also, the windows of the house are enclosed with a heavy-duty wire to prevent bigger pets from entering your bunnies’ abode. The wire sections are finished with an epoxy coating to keep corrosion at bay.
This rabbit hutch is portable in nature. Its asphalt-covered roof ensures your cottontails won’t get drenched when it drizzles nor will they get basked under the scorching sun. As for accessibility, you can open the hinged room from above, so you can easily serve dinner to your pets. There is also a solid front-door in the sleeping quarter that you can lock using a metal slide bolt.
- doors are placed strategically, allowing a faster and more efficient cleaning throughout the unit
- comes with an easy-to-clean removable sliding tray that covers more than half of the second floor
- complete with a sleeping area, a playground, and a non-skid ramp
- has a hinged roof with lockable arms that you can open from above
- weather-resistant and keeps pests at bay
- the heavy-duty wire on the exterior prevents predators from trespassing
- not the most attractive option
3. PawHut 91” Deluxe Outdoor Rabbit Hutch
Best Extra Large Outdoor Rabbit Hutch
Upgrade your bunnies’ basic cage to a deluxe home like the Pawhut 91” Outdoor Rabbit Hutch. This bunny condo can comfortably fit three to four small rabbits. You can place a dish for berries and a small water tank, along with some hay and toys with no crowding issues. The Pawhut comes with a spacious sleeping quarter that you can open up from the front. While your bunnies will enjoy going up and down its sturdy ramps, you will love the security the upper level has to offer.
Moreover, the best thing we like about this cage is that the bottom part is open to the ground. Hence, your woodland friends can dig in the dirt and munch on fresh grass. This rabbit hutch is also a piece of cake to assemble. With a textured roof, you won’t have to worry about your pets being exposed in poor conditions because it will keep them protected from the elements, along with stray cats that come to check them out. But you need to treat it with waterproofing should you use the hutch outdoors.
This unit measures 90.6" x 27.6" x 39.4".
- spacious run area
- waterproof roof ensures your pets stay dry inside
- complete with multiple ramps for increased accessibility for your pets
- has built-in windows for better airflow
- comes with a slide-out middle pan for easy cleaning
- reaching in to clean the far areas is tough
- lockers need improvement
- quality of the wood can be broken easily by a determined predator
4. Petsfit Bunny Cages
The Petsfit Bunny Cages, Outdoor Rabbit Hutch with Run is one of the best options for your bunnies in terms of aesthetics, construction, and usability. This adorable two-story hutch is made with sturdy wooden pieces that you can fit together in a cinch. It is equipped with an asphalt roof that helps maintain a good level of temperature throughout the year and is waterproof to boot.
Moreover, this hutch offers ample space and a great arrangement for your pets to live in. Your pets can rest comfortably at the upper level, race up and down the ramps, and play on the grass whenever they want. Additionally, it has an easy pull-out droppings tray and a sturdy ramp that connects to a wide entrance. As for accessibility, you can reach your pet from any point in the enclosure via the roof or its three lockable doors.
Overall, this is a beautiful hutch that blends well with any ornately designed abode. Product dimensions are 31.5” x 26” x 46”.
- dollhouse designed rabbit hutch
- coated with water-based paint
- suitable for indoor and outdoor use
- features a waterproof asphalt roof that can be opened for easy access
- one big entrance connects to the sturdy ramp
- three doors with metal locks
- can be assembled in minutes
- the wood used may not withstand aggressive chewers
5. TRIXIE Pet Products Rabbit Hutch with Attic
The Trixie Pet Products Rabbit Hutch is complete with a retreat area on the upper floor, an attic, and a removable floor to boot. The attic features a non-skid ramp and a hatch door that does an exemplary job of restricting access between each level. You can also find a trap door in this hutch that will help you confine your bunnies in the upper level if need be.
Moreover, this two-story hutch measures 52.75” x 32.5” x 43.5” and can comfortably house two to three small rabbits. However, some customers complained that cleaning this hutch is a tad difficult regardless of the pull-out plastic pan.
Nevertheless, this hutch is the right one if you are on a lookout for a compact home for your tiny cottontails that won’t break the bank.
- 2-story rabbit hutch, which can fit up to three rabbits
- includes an attic, a retreat area, and a removable floor
- equipped with a non-skid ramp, a hatch door, a pull-out droppings tray, and a trapdoor
- features a hinged roof with lockable arms for ease of access
- the soft and decorative wood used to build this hutch can be broken easily by a determined predator
6. Tangkula 76” RabbitHutch
Best Outdoor Rabbit Hutch with Dual Resting Areas
The Tangkula 76” Large Rabbit Hutch is made with fir wood and is coated using a non-toxic paint for waterproofing, anti-corrosion, and UV protection. Its dimensions are 76” x 29” x 45”. This hutch consists of a dual-section nesting box, which are suitable sleeping areas for your bunnies. The size of this rabbit hutch is large enough for its price and is enough to house two to three rabbits of the standard size.
Moreover, this hutch is equipped with a ramp, with timber ridges and a sliding door to allow your pets to enter the elevated housing area. Yes, the perch is elevated to keep your bunnies dry and toasty in the cold rainy days. Its roof is also sturdy and will stand up if it rains cats and dogs. However, some customers complained that the quality of the locks needs improvement to prevent an overeager critter to work its way through. Other than that, this hutch is great for the price!
- large and spacious
- features a well-constructed roof
- complete with a dual-section nesting box
- the ramp has timber ridges for traction
- elevated perch keeps pets dry and warm
- includes a removable sliding tray
- high-quality wire fencing adds ventilation and protections
- the quality of the locks need improvement
7. Tangkula Natural 78” Large Rabbit Hutch
Best Outdoor Rabbit Hutch for the Budget
The Tangkula Natural 78” Large Rabbit Hutch is the best possible choice if you are looking for a big outdoor shelter that would serve as a secondary home for your pets. Rabbits are woodland animals and hence, nothing beats the ambiance of the great outdoors and the feel of soil and fresh grass on their paws. That is why it is nice to gift your rabbits an outdoor hutch that has a secure open space for your pets to roam around during the daytime.
The Tangkula Natural 78” Large Rabbit Hutch may belong in the budget-friendly spectrum but it is not another house of cards. Its build is sturdy and its metal wires are coated with zinc-rich paint for corrosion protection. This cage is fairly large, too. In fact, large bunnies can stand in it.
The opening for the ladder can also be closed off as well to make it easier to clean the bottom. There is a pull-out tray as well for the first floor.
- cheapest quality rabbit hutch
- made with solid fir wood and is free of toxic components
- features a durable metal fencing run and a raised perch
- includes a removable bottom tray for easy cleaning
- exterior needs waterproofing
- security features need improvement
8. Tangkula 67” Rabbit Hutch with Run Roll
This rabbit hutch by Tangkula highlights a durable and weatherproof construction. It is made with fir wood that is finished with non-toxic waterproof paint. The elevated perch will keep your cottontails dry and toasty, especially during inclement weather. Meanwhile, its strong metal fencing run ensures your pet will have a great time running and noshing on grass during a fine day.
Additionally, this rabbit hutch comes with a sturdy ramp that allows your bunnies to enter their elevated room. Its ramp even has timber ridges for traction. There is also a removable sliding tray at the bottom of the house for convenient cleaning.
- dual resting areas
- made with fir wood, which is coated with a non-toxic waterproof paint
- includes a sliding door and a ramp with timber ridges
- elevated housing area keeps your pets dry and warm when it rains or snows
- high-quality wire fencing adds ventilation and protection
- multiple access points
- not the most durable wooden hutch
9. Advantek The Stilt House Rabbit Hutch
Best Outdoor Rabbit Hutch with Connected Ramp
Advantek’s The Stilted Rabbit Hutch is inarguably a beauty. Its auburn color and white accent with a stilted hutch design look just like a house. Surely, this rabbit hutch will blend seamlessly into your front yard. However, this hutch is not as spacious as some of its counterparts. Some customers also complained that its wire mesh is slightly flimsy, especially for large rabbits who love to chew. The hutch only has one chamber suitable for two small bunnies.
Nevertheless, this stunner has a wide opening front door and a pull-out tray for convenient cleaning. But most importantly, it is made from Cypress fir and hence, this rabbit hutch won’t rot! With some simple modifications and some basic upkeep, this bunny abode can last you for years without issues.
- beautiful house-like design
- made with solid Cypress Fir
- upper hutch comes with a removable pan for easy cleaning
- wire mesh needs improvement
10. PawHut 122” Outdoor Wooden Rabbit Hutch
Best Outdoor Rabbit Hutch with Dual Runs and Ramps
If you are on the lookout for an outdoor rabbit hutch that offers two runs for maximum outdoor space, PawHut 122” Outdoor Wooden Rabbit Hutch is the way to go! As you can see, this large hutch features long runs on each side of the mini barn house, so your rabbits can enjoy the grass on their paws.
As for accessibility, there is a door in front of the barn house, while each run has its own door on the end. There is a pull-out droppings pan at the bottom of the barn house that you can easily clean. Also, the hutch is enclosed with a heavy-duty galvanized wire to keep bunnies and predators out.
The PawHut 122” Outdoor Wooden Rabbit Hutch with Dual Runs and Ramps is made with solid fir wood. Each run measures 39.4” x 26.8” x 23.2”. Overall, this hutch measures 122" x 31" x 33.9".
- dual runs and ramps for a maximum outdoor experience
- one front door and one door for each run
- pull-out droppings pan for quick cleaning
- hutch is enclosed with heavy-galvanized wire for protection
- water-resistant shingle roof
- highly recommend that you either restain or repaint the hutch with a hardy oil-based outdoor paint
Rabbit Hutch: Factors to Consider
Wandering around could cost your bunnies to lose their lives because they are too delicate and are a little mischievous to be left free. That is why you need to find the right rabbit hutch that will give them the protection they need and the freedom to do the things they love. The following are things to look for so you can find the best rabbit hutch.
Bunnies are gregarious animals and are at least kept in pairs to promote their emotional well-being. So, you need a rabbit hutch that easily allows a pair of bunnies to live harmoniously. The size of the rabbit hutch should be such that it allows your bunnies to have separate areas for playing, eating, and sleeping.
Eight sq. feet of enclosure space plus 24 sq. feet of space for fun and exercise is recommended for one or two rabbits, says the House Rabbit Society. Nevertheless, keep in mind that there are many advantages which call for some extra space.
- Wood - You should make sure that the wood used is of great quality; otherwise, it can rot and become a suitable breeding ground for termites and fungi. Eventually, the hutch will deteriorate.
- Wire mesh - Choose a mesh that is tightly knit and is designed to withstand impact and corrosion.
- Paint - The best rabbit hutch is painted with a smooth and even coat of waterproof paint to prevent moisture and wetness from seeping through the wood. Avoid cheap quality polishes as it might contain toxic fumes that can trigger allergies or cause respiratory illness.
Ventilation should be taken into account so your bunnies feel as though they are in their natural habitat. Rabbits have thick coats, so it’s really important for them to stay cool when it is warm and humid outside as well.
Ease of cleaning
Bunny droppings have a musty smell, so you need a hutch that is a breeze to clean. An easy pull-out droppings tray makes cleaning quick and easy. Also, multiple access points ensure the hutch gets cleaned effectively.
Rabbits won’t appreciate it if you gift them a four-story house. The height of their hutch should not be very high, as they prefer to be close to the ground. If you choose a two-story hutch, be sure the ramp is not steep enough.