So you're thinking about getting a pet macaw, or you need to update your current bird's cage. These are strong, intelligent creatures, so choosing the right cage is vital for the safety and wellbeing of your feathery friend.
Well, you're in the right spot, as we've "pecked" our way through the web and have found what your macaw needs in a quality cage. Plus, we have our top eight picks to help you narrow in on the right cage for your needs.
Let's get started!
Top Eight Reviews of Macaw Cages
1. Prevue Pet Products Empire Extra Large Bird Cage
The Prevue brand is known for quality products, and the Empire Extra Large Bird Cage is no exception. This spacious "abode" measures in at 46 inches long by 36 inches wide by 78.25 inches high with 1 ⅜ inch bar spacing. You can also remove the inside grille to obtain an additional 10 inches of room. The pullout tray makes cleaning a cinch while the rounded corner seed guards help keep the mess contained inside the cage. Want to move Birdie around? No problem as this unit sits on easy-roll casters!
- Easy assembly
- Cage is on easy-roll casters
- Includes 3 stainless steel, non-tip bowls, and one hardwood perch
- Rounded corner seed guards help keep the mess contained.
- Easy clean, pullout tray, and bottom grille
- Flathead hex bolts are easy to use and cannot be unscrewed by the bird
- Large door for easy access measures 20 inches by 43 inches with a double locking mechanism.
- Outside entry to food and water bowls for easy cleaning/feeding
- Available in Black Hammertone finish to match any decor.
- Ships in two packages and is quite heavy
- Some birds may be able to bend the bars
2. Nova Microdermabrasion Large Bird Cage
This bird cage is stylish and durable and perfect for smaller macaws. It is made from premium, anti-rust material that has a living space of 23.81 inches long by 22.4 inches wide by 31.88 inches tall. There is an additional top play area which includes a perch, ladder, and two food/water bowls. The ample front door makes getting your bird in and out of the unit a snap, plus there’s a secure latch to keep Birdie safe and sound when it’s time for bed. Want a cage that is easy to clean? The Nova bird cage has both top and bottom slide-out trays to help you keep your pet’s space fresh.
- Comes with top play area and five stainless steel food/water bowls
- Outside access to food and water bowls
- Bottom portion extends out to help capture seed and debris
- The unit sits on four durable and quiet castors
- Heavy-duty push button door lock
- Large entry door measures 11.6 inches wide by 21.3 inches tall
- Slide out tray for easy cleaning
- Hardwood dowel perches also included
- Not suitable for large macaws
3. Prevue Hendryx Signature Series
Style meets functionality with the Prevue Hendryx Signature Series macaw cage. This unit has an interior space of 45.5 inches long by 35.5 inches wide by 63 inches tall with a decorative domed top. The Flathead hex bolts are not only easy to use for assembling the unit, but your macaw wouldn’t be able to “work them out,” either. Another appealing feature is the ease-of-cleaning the Prevue Hendryx provides with its rounded corner seed guards and pull-out grille and drawer. This attractive cage is made from pet-safe, non-toxic powder-coated steel mesh, so your pet can chew to its heart’s content, without the fear of you saying “bye bye birdie.”
- Comes with three stainless steel, non-tip bowls
- Pull out grille and tray for easy cleaning
- Seed guard contains the mess
- One hardwood perch included
- Macaw cannot remove the Flathead hex bolts
- Bar spacing is 1 ⅜ inch
- The unit stands on four rolling casters
- Large front door allows for ease-of-access
- May be considered pricy
- Only available in silver
4. Delta Bird Cage Q24-2822 Black
Your macaw will love the Delta bird cage with its “top deck” perch for playtime and available food and water dishes so it can enjoy a meal outside of the cage. The spacious interior measures in at 22 inches long by 28 inches wide by 50 inches tall and sits on four easy-roll casters. It’s plenty strong and made with powder coated wrought iron in “black ven” tone. This unit also comes with two wooden perches and plenty of seed/water cups (6-20 ounce for inside the cage and on top). The removable bottom grid and two metal trays help you when it’s time to freshen up your bird’s living quarters.
- Heavy-duty design
- Play top area
- Swing-out doors with food/water dish attached for easy refills or changing
- Seed guards
- The unit sits on easy-roll casters
- Ample front entrance/exit door
- 1 nest box door
- Easy to assemble
- Reasonably priced
- Instructions for assembly may not be clear for some buyers.
5. Yaheetech Wrought Iron Rolling Extra Large
The Yaheetech Wrought Iron cage is both stylish and practical - the top opens up into a play area for your bird. It is crafted out of premium metal with a hammertone finish (that is non-toxic, of course) with a large front entrance to help you get your bird in and out of the unit safely and with minimum stress. The push-lock on the front door keeps your pet inside, and the lockable feeder doors make changing the food and water super-accessible. Do you have a naughty bird that likes to tip or play in their food and water bowls? This unit has solved that problem with bars located just above the dishes to keep them securely in place.
- Unit (with open roof) measures in at 32 inches wide by 30.3 inches long by 63 inches tall.
- Push locks on doors keep the bird safe and secure inside the unit
- Easy-roll ball casters make the cage portable
- Bars located over food/water dishes secure them in place.
- Outside entry to food and water dish
- Roof opens to make a play area
- The cage includes two stainless steel bowls and two wooden perches
- Grille and slideout tray included for easy cleaning
- Made from premium metal with hammertone finish for both durability and style
- Seed guard included
- Reasonably priced
- Not appropriate for large macaws
6. Giant Corner Bird Cage
"No one puts Baby in a corner" unless "Baby" is a bird, then go ahead with this Giant Corner Bird Cage by the A&E Cage Company. This stunning unit doesn't spare style for practicality and comes in neutral white to match any decor. It measures a spacious 61 inches by 48 inches by 73 inches with 1-inch bar spacing. The bird-proof, half-moon locks keep your pet safe inside the cage when you're away, and the swing-out feeder doors make mealtimes easy-peasy. The entire cage sits on easy-roll casters and also includes four stainless steel bowls and two wooden perches.
- Four swing-out feeder doors
- Bird-proof locks
- Corner unit takes up less space
- Easy-roll casters make moving the unit a cinch
- Neutral "platinum" color
- Seed guard and slide out trays for easy cleaning
- May be considered pricy.
7. Large Iron Corner Cage by Mcage
This elegant and sturdy bird cage is perfect for a cozy corner where your bird can be safe and stress-free, but still a part of the family. It is made from pet-safe wrought iron (so you know it's tough enough to last) and is available in three colors to match any decor. It measures in at a spacious 30 inches wide by 64 inches tall and comes with a full-length access door, swing-out feeder doors, two seed/water bowls, and two natural wood perches. Both the removable trays and grate make cleaning a snap, while the flat top allows for more climbing space for your feathery friend.
- The unit fits in a corner
- Available in "eggshell white, black vein, silver vein."
- Two bowls and two perches included
- The unit sits on casters for easy moving
- ⅝-inch bar spacing
- Reasonably priced
- Not suitable for large macaws.
8. King's Cages GC 14022 Corner Cage
Even though this cage is designed for a corner, you may want to show it off in the middle of the room - it's beautiful! This wrought iron bird cage measures in at 54 inches wide (from right to left corner), 42.5" inches (front to back corner), and 60 inches inside height (72 inches total height). It comes in four fashionable colors to match any decor with a matching seed guard to keep your pet's mess contained. The two sliding trays and grilles help keep Birdie's home clean, while the flat folding door makes getting your pet in and out a breeze.
- Bar spacing ¾ inch
- Available in black/silver, white, coppertone, grey/silver
- Safety locks on all doors
- Includes two wooden perches (39 ¾ inches long by 1-inch diameter)
- Four swing out side door feeders with 20 oz stainless steel food bowls
- Heavy-duty casters for easy relocation
- May be considered pricy.
What to Look for in a Macaw Cage
Macaws come in a variety of colors and sizes. However, what they all have in common are their strong beaks and exuberant personalities - this can make them a challenging pet.
Macaws love to climb and explore, so the cage you provide this curious bird has to be sturdy and able to withstand the macaw's sharp talons and "destructive" beak. Other than the bird itself, the macaw cage will be your next most significant investment for this type of pet.
If you have a mini macaw, the minimum cage requirement should be 24x36x48 inches. Larger macaws will require a bigger cage that measures a minimum of 36x48x60 inches. Remember, these cages are only meant to be a place for your bird to sleep or rest when you are away. Macaws are interactive, busy creatures that cannot be left for long hours in a cage.
Another feature you will want in a cage is one that is constructed of heavy-duty material such as stainless steel. This will ensure the unit can withstand the wear-and-tear of the macaw species.
What Else Does the Macaw Cage Need?
Because the macaw is an intelligent bird, you should provide it with all kinds of toys that will stimulate both its mind and its instincts (chewing, clawing, etc.). Wooden toys or even plain chunks of wood (untreated) provide your parrot with a safe way to satisfy its chewing urges. Interactive toys designed to be taken apart for a food reward are also an excellent choice, as are those that provide your bird with the ability to climb.
Remember, even though toys are a must-have for the macaw, they also take up room, so you will want to keep that in mind when shopping for a macaw cage (again, bigger is better).
The Best Cage for a Macaw
When it comes to choosing the best cage for a macaw, be sure to do your research and pick a unit that is both durable and large enough to keep your pet happy and healthy. The macaw is a long-lived bird, so choosing the best cage now, will save you money in the future.