Owning a furry pet is fun and you would certainly wish for them to stay longer with you. If you take good care of your pets then they can live way longer than usual. Below are some interesting things that you should know about hamster lifespan along with factors that influence it.
Lifespan of a Hamster
It is important to know the lifespan of your pet hamster to set the right expectation. You can also choose them according to their lifespan so that you know exactly what to expect. Pets usually rely on you to take care of them and you need to know how to go about it.
A hamster can live up to 4 years if you take proper care of it. However, the majority of hamsters live up to only 2 years. Golden hamster lives up to 3 years, a Siberian dwarf hamster and Campbell’s dwarf hamster about 2 years. Whereas Roborovski and Chinese Hamster have an average lifespan of 3 years.
Factors Affecting the Lifespan of Your Hamster
- Providing nutritional diet for your pet hamster is very crucial. However, this does not mean that you have to overfeed them. You can give them seed, corn, quality corn and protein pellets along with carrot, lettuce and spinach.
- Longevity also depends on the genetics of your pet. The breed of your hamster also plays an important role in how long it lives. Although you do not have any control over these factors, you can always make sure that its surrounding is healthy.
- Keep a lot of room for your pet hamster to play. They need something to constantly burn their energy and it is a great idea to keep some toys and tunnels in the cage. However, it should be noted that plastic made things are not an ideal choice.
- Stress can also affect the longevity of your pet. In order to keep it light and pleasant, you can always play with them or let the kids play with them. You can occasionally take them out and set aside a time for them to just have fun. Hamsters love to spend time with their humans and can end up feeling lonely if you do not take care of them.
- Hygiene is an important factor which you need to consider. If you do not clean the cage of your hamster then it can cause infections and diseases. You must regularly clean the surroundings of your hamster and provide them with a good ambience supportive of growth.
- You could also keep a hamster wheel in the cage for your cute pet to exercise. It is crucial to keep these energetic creatures busy.
Thus, the lifespan of your pet hamster widely depends on several factors. You should be alert and responsible to take enough care of them and their needs. Provide the cute pets with a quiet as well as the secure environment and continue to give them good food. Make the most of your time with your pet hamster by tending to them properly.