Whether your guinea pig is with you for emotional support, you are moving to a new home, or your little "piggy" needs to go to the veterinarian, you will need the right travel cage or carrier to keep him safe for transporting.
In this post, we will review our top picks for the guinea pig travel cages and carriers, plus, what to look for in the right carrier for you. Let's get started!
Best Travel Cages & Carriers for Guinea Pig
1. Living World Hagen Pet Carrier
The Living World Pet Carrier by the Hagen company is built just for your guinea pig and other small rodents. It is available in two sizes; small measures 9" long by 6.8" wide by 6.1" high; large measures in at 11.8" long by 9" wide by 8.3" high. The durable chew-resistant plastic has dual carry handles for convenience, a large top opening so you can get your pet in and out with ease and comfort, as well as plenty of ventilation holes, and a ridged bottom so piggy can get a good grip. This unit is affordable, practical, and stylish!
- Available in two sizes
- Carry handles
- Chew-resistant material
- Ridged bottom
- Series of well-placed ventilation holes
- Large top for ease of access
- Lid clicks into place and locks for added security
- Plenty of room to add food or thin bedding material
- Not suitable for cats as it is a rodent carrier
2. Kaytee Me Travel Carrier
Safe and sound for both guinea pigs, and small birds, the Kaytee Me Travel Carrier/Cage is available in three sizes, small, medium, and large. The convenient carry handle can also be left in the standing position as a landing perch for your pet bird. These units are all constructed from durable stain-resistant plastic with metal, snap-on top. The large access door makes getting your piggy in and out a breeze, as well as the whole unit is washable.
- Available in three sizes; small measures in at 10" x 5.7" x 5.7". Medium measures 7.9" by 12.4" by 7". Large measures 10.4" x 16.5" x 10.4".
- Great for both small rodents and birds
- Carry handle can also be used as a landing perch for traveling birds
- Durable, washable plastic, and metal design
- Not suitable for heavy animals over a pound or two.
- Bottom and top connection may become less secure over time, so an additional fastening system may have to be used.
3. Suncast Portable Crate
Perfect for two or even three guinea pigs, the Suncast Portable Crate will make those trips to the veterinarian safe and secure for your furry pals. This unit is constructed with sturdy wire and resin and measures in at 19.4" x 13.3" x 10.25" - great for small dogs and cats, too! For added convenience, this company has added a food bowl that hitches to the door, and a durable carrying handle. This pet carrier also supplies ample ventilation so your pets won't overheat.
- Ample room for two or three guinea pigs
- Suitable for small dogs, cats, and birds
- Front loading door
- Made with wire and resin for durability
- Easy to assemble and does not require tools
- Comes with a carry handle and food dish
- Reasonably priced
- Could be considered too roomy for one guinea pig
- May need to drape with a light blanket or towel for winter travel
4. Favorite Small Animal Carrier
The top-loading, transparent lid is just one of the excellent features you will find in the Favorite Small Animal Carrier. The well-ventilated top snaps onto the deep bottom portion making it safe and secure for your little piggy. The unit comes with two sturdy carry handles and is completely washable. The loading top not only makes it a snap to get your pet in and out of the carrier, but the rotatable button ensures the lid is securely in place. Plus, it provides ample room for your pet guinea pig measuring in at 18.5" long by 12" wide by 11" high. The bottom portion is 13" long by 6" wide with the top load opening measuring in at an ample 12.5" by 6".
- Perfect for quick trips, or as a holding cage
- Durable construction
- Well ventilated
- Top opening for easy access
- Transparent top makes checking on your piggy easy
- Top locks into place with a rotatable button
- Carry handles
- Snap-together design
- Not suitable for multiple guinea pigs
5. Kaytee Hamster Come Along Carrier
Let piggy travel in comfort with the Kaytee fabric-covered pet carrier. This design includes a front, double-zippered entrance, along with dual end zippered access points. The sturdy construction is wipeable and will collapse (with all enclosures opened) for easy storage. It is available in assorted colors and three sizes. Small measures 7.5" wide by 10.5" long by 6.5" high. Medium is 9" wide by 13.5" long by 8.5" high. Large measures in at 17" long by 11.25" wide by 11.5" high.
- Comes in assorted colors and sizes
- Three zippered access points
- Durable carry handle
- Wipeable vinyl interior
- Not suitable for multiple guinea pigs
- May not be ventilated enough for hot weather travel
- Soft bottom can be difficult to grip
6. IRIS Small Animal and Critter Carrier
Designed for very quick trips, the IRIS Small Animal Carrier is well-ventilated with holes in the domed top and along the sides. The see-through top allows for a quick view of your little furry critter, and the sturdy carrying handle makes transporting a cinch. This unit also comes with a water bottle and a secure latch to ensure your pet stays safe and sound inside the carrier.
- An excellent choice for small rodents or birds
- Durable design
- Domed, see-through top for checking on your pet
- Sturdy handle
- Comes in pink and blue
- Snap-shut lid
- Water bottle included and latches on the inside wall
- This carrier only measures in at 8.8" by 4.8" by 4.2" so it is too small for an extended trip with a guinea pig.
- The lid is hinged and lifts to one side, so you may need to take care when putting the rodent inside.
7. DETOP Pet Carrier Bag
Need to take your guinea pig on a quick trip to the veterinarians? Then the DETOP Pet Carrier Bag may work for you. This cozy little sack is made with a comfortable and soft velvet outer layer and a plastic mesh half-front for ventilation. The spongy middle provides comfort while a thin velvet lining keeps your critter from slipping and sliding. This unit is perfect for walking trips as it has a generous shoulder strap that will sling diagonally over your shoulder or can be left hanging from one shoulder. The secure zipper closure and the all-binding lining is strong and durable.
- The cozy design provides warmth and comfort
- Available in two sizes
- A shoulder strap offers a convenient way to carry the bag
- Machine washable
- Not suitable for large rodents
- Rodents may be able to chew through the plastic mesh
- Not ideal for hot weather travel
- Not wipeable
8. Favorite Small Pet Carrier
Made with heavy-duty plastic, the Favorite Small Pet Carrier has plenty of ventilation and a comfortable carry handle for both convenience and stability. This unit is generous in size and would be suitable for two guinea pigs to travel in style. The top and bottom sections lock into place for added security, while the flip-front door allows for easy access. Great for both indoor and outdoor use.
- Made with durable plastic
- Generous size
- Flip-front for easy access
- Plenty of ventilation holes
- Unit securely locks together for added protection
- Convenient carry handle
- Could be used for small cats, dogs, and birds, too
- Some assembly is required
- Could be considered too large for a single guinea pig
Buying Guide for a Guinea Pig Cage or Carrier
Gone are the days of putting your small pet in a cardboard box to take him from one location to the next. Although cardboard will do in a pinch (for short trips), it is not the best choice as it can be chewed through, will get saturated and weakened if piggy pees on it, and does not provide adequate ventilation, especially if the weather is hot.
Here are some important factors to keep in mind when choosing a guinea pig travel cage or carrier.
The size of the carrier - be sure your carrier is of sufficient size for transporting your pet guinea pig. In this case, bigger is not better. Yes. You want enough room for a piggy to have proper ventilation, but too much space could have your pet tumbling around if you have to make a sudden stop. It is recommended, if you are transporting two guinea pigs, that the carrier is about 12" wide by 19" long by 12" high.
Quality of the cage or carrier - you will want a carrier or cage to be durable enough to last the lifetime of your furry friend (and even beyond). Choose a travel cage or carrier that is constructed to last with durable materials such as tough plastic, resin, wire, or heavy-duty mesh and canvas.
Climate you are traveling in - since guinea pigs do not sweat, it will be essential to keep his environment between 65 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit. In the warmer months, you will want to have a carrier or cage that provides plenty of ventilation openings. This will allow the air to flow and circulate to help keep piggy cool. In the colder months, your ideal carrier or cage would allow for the addition of a draped towel or blanket to block any drafts that may be present.
Length of time you will be using the carrier - if you plan on using your guinea pig carrier all the time, then choose one that has adequate space and features that will make your trips less stressful. These features will include proper ventilation, a sturdy model, good handles, and one that is easy to clean. If you only plan on using the carrier for short trips to the veterinarian or a short-distance move, then a carrier that is safe, and has an easy access point may be preferable.
Airline approved carriers - if your main goal for a guinea pig carrier or cage is to use it for airline travel, be sure to check the guidelines for what your airline provider has issued for pet carriers. These types of carriers are particular in dimensions, and you will want to have one that will fit under the seat or else piggy will be forced to travel in the cargo hold. Get specifics of your airline to ensure you have met their standards before you show up at the gate.
Ease of maintenance and usage - If you are planning on using your travel carrier or cage regularly, you will want one that is easily taken apart to clean, or, at the very least, can be wiped down quickly and effectively. Choosing a cumbersome carrier or one that is a nuisance to maintain will only lead to frustration, and, most likely, you won't use it, or you will dread using it. Either way, it's unnecessary stress and waste of money.
Traveling With Your Guinea Pig
Traveling with your pet guinea pig doesn't have to be a hassle. Find the carrier that suits both you and your piggy's needs, Whether that be for long-term usage, or just for quick trips to the veterinarian, there's a travel carrier or cage that is perfect for you.