Our furry pals feel very strongly that they should always come with us wherever we go, just in case the need for wet licks and snuggles should arise. But what if you decided to take a cruise down the road with your bike and not with your car? If only animals could talk, your badass dog would definitely say, “Challenge accepted!”
Kidding aside, it is indeed possible for you to share a motorbike ride with your fluffy friend. In fact, joyrides are a great way to spend with your dog! While you enjoy a picturesque view and feel the chill breeze on your hair, your dog will loll and stick his tongue out in euphoria! So, how do you turn this into a reality?
What you need is a motorcycle dog carrier to keep your canine buddy safe and securely attached to your bike. A thoughtful product such as this enables dog owners to share the fun and excitement of a motorbike ride with their beloved pets. Hence, it fortifies your relationship with your fluffy friend.
Understanding how important it is to own one, the demand for motorcycle pet carriers is rising at a phenomenal pace among fur-parents. In fact, you will find an inexhaustible collection in the digital marketplace as well as in brick-and-mortar pet stores.
To make it easier for you, we narrowed down 9 of the best dog motorcycle carriers that offer more bang out of your buck. So, check out our picks below, or read on for relevant information.
Best Motorbike Carriers for Dogs
1. Saddlemen Pet Voyager Motorcycle Pet CarrierWith a glance, you can tell the Saddlemen Pet Voyager motorcycle dog carrier is loaded with features that can easily prove itself the best motorbike carrier for our small canine buddies. This model is designed with a double mounting system, so your furry sidekick can ride practically almost any motorbike. You have the option to either use its seat harness or its adjustable bar strap system. With the latter option, you can easily hitch the carrier right onto the sissy bar or to your seat. In addition, this carrier features a spacious compartment with a resting pad to keep your furry pal cozy on long rides. The product measures 16” L x 14” W x 14” H. It features a rigid bottom that can easily hold the brunt of a 15-pound canine. You can also find food and water trays stowed neatly in an interior pocket. You can bring these accessories out when necessary and tuck them back in to save space. This model is also designed with multiple vents and flaps for optimum ventilation and accessibility. Rest assured your beloved pet gets plenty of fresh air and a generous view of his surroundings. As for cleaning, both the resting pad and the interior tray can be tossed into the washing machine. The level of security this carrier provides is also among its biggest pros. This carrier comes with extra straps that you can use to hook onto several places. For instance, you can create a criss-cross pattern on the sides to prevent swaying. An internal sliding leash is also included to keep your beloved pet from being tossed to and fro. Rest assured your pet will stay stress-free even when there’s a small bump on the road. But just like any product, the Saddlemen Pet Voyager motorcycle dog carrier has its share of disadvantages. Not all fur-parents were enthusiastic about its multiple vents. Some are worried that it might create problems if you have an escape artist for a dog. Others fear that it might hamper the carrier’s structure. Also, the materials used to make this carrier aren’t waterproof. Still, the product is water-resistant so rest assured that occasional exposure to sun showers won’t compromise the bag’s quality. A majority of fur-parents remain ecstatic about this carrier despite a few negative comments. In the end, it’s up to you to decide whether this carrier is perfect for your needs and your dog’s.
- can fit almost any motorcycle
- can accommodate dogs up to 15 lbs.
- offers multiple mounting methods
- quick configuration and dismounting
- includes free food and water bowls
- can be converted into a cargo bag
- offers multiple vents for optimum airflow
- comes with backpack straps
- sturdy, non-bendable base
- not waterproof
2. Kuryakyn Black Grand Pet Palace Motorcycle Pet CarrierSafety and comfort are the two most important selling points of the Kuryakyn Black Grand Pet Palace motorcycle carrier. This product boasts of its UV-resistant 1200 denier textile construction. Which means, it is highly resistant to heat, water, and abrasion. This carrier also has a removable rain cover, which is helpful when it suddenly rains cats and dogs. Clearly, this carrier focuses on your beloved pet’s safety to give you the peace of mind you need while you drive! In addition, this dog carrier features a rigid internal frame that provides reliable structural support. Not only is your furry sidekick protected inside, but you can also rest assured that the carrier holds its shape for a long, long time. It won’t bend, fold, or crumple. Likewise, this carrier offers several mounting options. It comes with a sissy bar strap and multiple adjustable straps and D-rings. You can also find a handle for each side, as well as a removable carrying strap for portability. Moreover, this model features a pretty rigid base, which helps maintain the structure of the carrier. The base has no trouble supporting the weight of a 15-pound canine. It also has a resting pad to keep your canine buddy snug as a bug throughout the ride. As for cleaning, the cushion is removable and machine-washable. You have the option to open the top panel, so your beloved can pop his head out. Just don’t forget to fasten your dog’s collar with the leash and D-ring attachment leash inside the carrier to ensure safety. Nevertheless, the carrier has four scratch-resistant mesh windows and hence, your beloved pet can have a good view and constant supply of fresh air even without sticking his head out. There isn’t really much to complain about the Kuryakyn Black Grand Pet Palace motorcycle carrier. However, it would have been nice to have a visual instruction regarding how you attach the straps to various types of racks. This carrier measures 13” L x 18 ½” W x 14” H.
- heavy-duty UV-resistant 1200 denier textile construction
- features exemplary resistance to abrasion, heat, and water
- inflexible and long lasting
- stable base holds up to 15 lbs.
- 4 scratch-resistant mesh panels for ventilation
- side handles for portability
- padded base is removable and easy to clean
- plenty of tie-on straps, pockets, connections, etc.
- includes free pet amenities such as stash pouch, adjustable leash, food, and water bowls
- can be used as a cargo bag
- the sides are less rigid than the base
3. Pet Ego Multifunctional Silver Pet CarrierThe Multifunctional Pet Carrier by Pet Ego sports a metallic finish with a contrasting black accent, making this bag quickly stand out from the crowd! However, there’s more to this bag than its shiny looks. This carrier boasts of its hypoallergenic nylon fabric construction with a well-padded interior that feels very plush to the touch. To top it off, this carrier is waterproof so your canine buddy stays dry and feeling toasty even when the sky drizzles. Moreover, this carrier comes with a pair of short straps and another pair of long straps. You can use the short straps to create a handle. Or better yet, you can convert the carrier into a backpack using the two long straps. A safety leash is also included. You can also find front and back mesh panels for ventilation. Unfortunately, this carrier does not have handy pockets where you could tuck in some pet supplies. This means you have to get a separate bag for your dog’s water dish, biscuits, etc. If you are willing to dig deeper into your pockets, you can buy an external compartment for this model. Nevertheless, this carrier is practical for all modes of transport. You can use this carrier to transport your pet on land or on air. In fact, this carrier is compliant with most airlines’ traveling policies and hence, your check-in experience will be smooth sailing when you go to the airport. This product is advertised to have a maximum capacity of 20 pounds, reviewers mentioned that it is only roomy enough for dogs weighing 15 pounds and below. This carrier measures 10.5” L x 18” W x 12.5” H.
- airline-approved carrier
- sleek and stylish design
- weatherproof, UV-resistant exterior
- very cozy interior
- doubles as a sports bag
- can be used for various transportations
- has front and back mesh panels for continuous airflow
- no interior pockets
- other parts need to be bought separately
4. Texsens Innovative Bubble/Mesh Traveller BackpackWhen it comes to premium quality pet supplies, you can’t expect anything less from Texsens. This company has remained steadfast in producing high-quality carriers for many decades; their Innovative Bubble/Mesh Traveller Backpack is no exception. In fact, they pioneered the trend. Therefore, it is unsurprising that they have the edge when it comes to unique carriers such as this one. This particular model boasts of a rigid PU leather construction with a bubble-like dome at the center. The transparent dome, which is made of heavy-duty plastic, allows your dog to a have a look-see at his surroundings while you cruise down the road. Don’t worry about your little sidekick getting hot inside his carrier! This bubble backpack has many vents, including two mesh windows. This feature ensures continuous air flow throughout the trip. Take note: the two mesh windows are made of abrasion-resistant PVC net. As for accessibility, your furry pal can easily worm his way into this carrier, as it features multiple entry points. Likewise, your dog’s chances of escape are quite slim on this one. Texsens made sure that this backpack features extra measures against runaway canines. For one, you have the option to attach your dog’s leash onto the carrier. What’s more, this bubble backpack has wide, well-padded shoulder straps that won’t strain your shoulders. This is such a delight for bikers who love to go out for hour-long rides. Likewise, you can adjust the straps according to your height. This carrier also has a top handle, which is convenient for carrying or when you need to transport your pet inside a vehicle. Simply fasten a seatbelt through to keep your dog safe. Sadly, this bubble backpack is only available in one size, which measures 12.99” L x 9.05” W x 15.74” H. Its dimensions are ideal for toy breeds or small breeds weighing not more than 10 pounds. On the positive side, it comes in eight cute colors.
- comes in 8 colors
- heavy-duty PU leather construction
- sturdy and clear bubble-like dome
- bubble dome can be replaced with a mesh window
- mesh windows are abrasion-resistant
- features multiple entryways
- escape-proof and well-ventilated
- soft-padded, durable, and customizable shoulder straps (features reliable enforcement)
- non-collapsible base pad
- can’t be attached to the bike
5. Heavy-Duty Motorcycle Pet Carrier by MilwaukeeDurability is the main selling point of this motorcycle pet carrier. It boasts of a high-quality PVC construction. Which means this carrier won’t get easily ripped apart in case of an accident. Likewise, this carrier is capable of keeping your furry sidekick safe from a stormy weather! Moreover, this heavy-duty carrier features sturdy double-sided handles. While it is essential to find a motorbike dog carrier that offers comfort for your pet, it is also important to choose one that you can carry around with ease. This heavy-duty carrier offers a double mounting system, as well. You can hitch this carrier onto your bike or employ it as a backpack using the adjustable straps that come with the package. In addition, there are several mesh panels to keep the motorbike pet carrier well-ventilated. You can also find three pouches that you can use to tuck in small items. This particular carrier by Milwaukee may not look fancy, but if you prefer functionality over bells and whistles, then you will never go wrong with this model. This carrier measures 16” L x 12” W x 13” H, which is a good size for small dogs.
- heavy-duty PVC construction
- weather-resistant and leak-proof
- double mounting systems
- double-sided handles and customizable straps
- several mesh panels for ventilation
- its mesh windows won’t give your pet a good view
6. Outward Hound PoochPouch Front CarrierTuck in your little pooch inside the Outward Hound PoochPouch and together, explore new ground! Whether you are on your motorbike or your good ole bicycle, your furry sidekick can ride in tandem either way. The PoochPouch is made with water-resistant nylon fabric, so occasional sunshowers won’t be a problem. Plus, your spoiled pooch will love how plush it feels inside! In addition, this carrier features nicely padded straps, back, and pouch to provide an unsurpassed level of comfort for you and your beloved pet. This front-facing carrier allows more contact with your dog and hence, it helps to reduce tension and calms an anxious pet. You can also find a drawstring top and a safety harness attachment for added security, The sides are mesh panels to keep the carrier well-ventilated. You can also find extra pockets where you can store small items. The PoochPouch comes in two colors and measures 11” L x 8” W x 10” H.
- available in blue and grey
- feels very plush
- water-resistant nylon fabric
- easy to clean
- has mesh sides for ventilation
- can be worn behind the back
- includes convenient pockets
- well-padded back and straps for supreme comfort
- comes with a drawstring top and safety harness
- better suited for toy breeds only
- not ideal for long trips
- can’t be hitched on your bike
7. Pet On Wheels Pet CarrierWhether you are cruising along the back roads to enjoy the scenery or ride along the highway for a hundred-kilometer journey, the Pet On Wheels Pet Carrier makes it easy for your furry pal to ride in tandem with you! This high-performance carrier from Italy is made with an injection-molded polypropylene. Its air-intakes, handle, lock (key included), and mounting plate are made of Polyamide 66, which is an engineering-grade thermoplastic, plus 15% fiberglass. Which means this carrier is very tough and resilient! In case of an accident, this carrier will remain intact to keep your little pal safe. This carrier also boasts of a four-in-one function. You can attach this carrier onto a motorbike, a scooter, a bicycle, or any automobile seat as long as the surface or rack is flat. It clearly eliminates the need for having multiple carriers! Also, you have the option to either install it facing forward or backward. In addition, this carrier includes a top handle. Simply thread the seat belt through this handle to use it as a car safety seat for your pet. As for its interior features, you can find a customizable clip-on harness that serves as a safety measure against naughty canines. You can also find a black cushion inside, which you can remove for cleaning. When it rains unexpectedly, you can close the porthole to keep your pet dry and toasty inside its carrier. There are vents on each side, so your beloved pet continues to breathe fresh air. Furthermore, this carrier’s interior provides 1.25 cubic ft. space, which is good enough to accommodate a 22-pound canine. This product met strict US standards for carrying pets via a motorized vehicle.
- can be used on a motorbike, a scooter, a bicycle, or any automobile seat
- highly resilient PA66 construction
- withstands severe impact and all types of bad weather
- features locking mechanism
- suitable for dogs weighing 20-22 lbs.
- available in 3 colors
- sturdiest but not the cutest
- not suitable during very hot temperatures
8. K9 Sport Sack Air Plus Dog CarrierThe K9 Sports Sack Air Plus is designed to give your medium-sized canine a chance to ride in tandem and enjoy some quality time with you! This carrier is carefully constructed based on years of real experience, further research, and thousands of customer review to give you a product of unparalleled comfort and durability. For your comfort, the Air Plus is designed with pressure-reducing straps and internal back padding, so you won’t feel the strain on your neck, shoulders, or your back as you carry the brunt of your adventure-seeking dog. Likewise, it features a sturdy 20mm-thick padded bottom to keep your furry sidekick snug as a bug. The sides are also ventilated to provide continuous airflow. In addition, this carrier comes with a detachable storage bag, which you can use to stuff in valuable items and pet supplies. You can also find elastic straps on the back, so you can hang supplies. Most importantly, this carrier is veterinarian-approved, so you can guarantee this product won’t harm your pet in any way. This product comes in five colors and three sizes. The largest K9 Air Plus dog carrier can accommodate dogs weighing 30 - 40 pounds.
- suitable for small to medium breeds
- features pressure-reducing straps and well-padded back for comfort
- 20 mm-thick cushioned base
- includes a safety D-ring
- includes elastic straps for hanging gears or supplies
- includes an adjustable sternum strap with K9 whistle clip
- neoprene-lined arm holes
- heavy-duty, easy-pull zippers
- 5 colors to choose from
- available in 3 sizes
- 40-lbs weight limit
- can’t be hitched on your bike
9. GEEPET Front-Facing CarrierThe GEEPET Front-Facing Carrier features a clever design suitable for fur-babies who simply like to have their legs extended and exposed. This front-facing carrier is also perfect for eager pets who prefer to have a look-see as to where you are heading! The GEEPET Front-Facing Carrier features wide-padded straps to help reduce the strain on your shoulders while you are riding on your motorcycle. Bear in mind that this carrier is not suited for long rides that require heavy-duty functions. Nevertheless, this carrier is perfect for short trips to the park or around the lake. This product is also available in three sizes. The largest size has a weight capacity of 22 pounds.
- can be used as a backpack-style carrier
- 1.5” wide shoulder straps
- available in 5 cute styles
- comes in 4 sizes
- not intended for long trips
Benefits of a Motorcycle Pet Carrier
1. Home alone no more
Every time you head for the door, your beloved pet takes out his ultimate weapon: his huge, sad puppy dog eyes. But you simply brush that off and tell him to be a good boy, while you paint the town red. Hours later, you discover a cluttered house and a very enthusiastic dog! Do you blame him?
Dogs are sociable creatures. They love to hang out, too! As an important family member, it is quite obvious that he should tag along when you decide to celebrate, dine, or chill out someplace else. There is an increasing number of pet-friendly hotels, cafes, and restaurants that you could hang out. So, there’s no excuse!
2. Dogs love the great outdoors
Give your canine buddy some breath of fresh air! If you intend to go sightseeing on local parks, nature preserves, or simply cruise down panoramic back roads, take your dog with you!
While it is important to encourage your dog to be a bit more independent, it is also wise to take your canine buddy with you as frequently as possible so he will learn not to associate your departure with negativity.
3. A Vital Equipment for Dire Times
A motorcycle dog carrier is an important utility for casual vet trips if you don’t own a car. Even if you do, you will never know when you might need one.
Do All Dogs Like Motorbike Rides?
Usually, dogs with big, feisty personalities are the ones who are willing to take on the noise and quivers of a motorbike ride. This includes toy breeds, such as the likes of the pompous Pomeranian and the sassy Chihuahua.
Small dogs are accustomed to being held above so they feel more comfortable riding on a motorbike than bigger dogs. Also, they fit easily into smaller spaces and it is a cinch to lift them up, as well. Nevertheless, it doesn’t mean large breeds aren’t ideal motorbike passengers.
A majority of large dogs are horrified by the idea of being carried, so teach yours how to ride atop your bike. You have to make your dog feel safe, so he won’t try to jerk about. Then allow him to get familiarized with the feeling. Believe me, it won’t take long for your dog to enjoy his first motorbike ride!
Riding in tandem with your canine buddy is an incredibly fun activity, as long as you do it with safety in mind. That is why you need to find the best dog motorcycle carrier so your buddy feels comfortably safe as he enjoys the rush of the chill wind!
Factors to Consider
Here are the factors you should consider when choosing your first motorcycle dog carrier.
There are two types of motorbike carriers to choose from.
Also known as the backpack type, the wearable carrier is attached to your bike as well as your body using straps. This type of carrier is a popular choice for parades since it allows your pet to stand up and flaunt his majestic self.
The wearable carrier provides your dog with a lot of wriggle room, which can be a problem unless you’re confident that your beloved pet is well-behaved. Hence, this type of carrier should be limited to short trips and slow speeding.
The crate-style carrier may limit contact with your beloved pet but as far as safety is concerned, this type of carrier will protect your dog better. A good crate-style carrier can withstand strong winds, road debris, and severe impact in case of an accident. Crate-style carriers are better suited for high speeds and long trips.
Nevertheless, either type can work well. It all boils down to your dog’s personality and your needs. You can have both types and use it interchangeably.
Whichever type of carrier you choose, be sure that it has safety features to keep your canine buddy snug and secure in the course of your travels.
As for wearable carriers, be sure to find the right size that will contain your pet comfortably. Otherwise, your dog could get toppled out of his carrier and get hurt. Likewise, it has to be even and sturdy to prevent your pet from losing his footing.
Tip: Give your canine buddy a cool pair of sunglasses and his own comfy helmet.
As for crate-style carriers, be sure you can mount it securely onto your bike. It must have reliable locks and latches. You certainly don’t want your pet falling off your bike because of an open crate.
Comfort is always a priority. If you won’t put comfort into consideration, your canine buddy will refuse to ride with you again!
Too much wriggle room is discouraged for wearable carriers, but be sure not to make your pet feel too confined. Likewise, it has to be made with comfortable materials. You should also check the carrier for components that could cause chafing.
As for crate carriers, bigger is not always better. Choose a size that will allow your canine buddy to sit up, turn around, or lay outstretched. Don’t empower your pet to do other things inside the carrier to avoid distraction. Lastly, the crate should have a padded interior.
Installation should be hassle-free. If a crate-style carrier is a cinch to install, you can also detach it from your motorbike in a jiffy without the fear of causing any damage.
Search for detachable models if you opt for a crate-style carrier. With it, you can easily separate the carrier from your bike for cleaning, maintenance, and for instances when your dog simply has to stay.
Lastly, search for models with adjustment points to facilitate customizability.
5. Weather-proof feature
Sometimes, the sky drizzles the moment you least you expect it to. So, even if you won’t be riding through the rain, be sure you pick a carrier that is made of waterproof materials to keep your beloved pet dry and toasty. Crate-style carriers are obviously at an edge in this regard. But still, wearable carriers should have these features.
You don’t want to buy motorcycle pet carriers at frequent intervals, do you? So, be sure to choose a model that features quality craftsmanship so you can rack up the highway miles with confidence for a long, long time. A durable product reduces unnecessary expenses from maintenance and repair costs.
Motorbike dog carriers vary a lot in price. But a word to the wise: you don’t usually find durable finishes if you stray in the cheaper end of the spectrum.
Of course, style and design should influence your decision before you click on that “Buy Now” button. You don’t want your pet carrier to contradict the look and feel of your badass bike.