Every day we look forward to that moment when we can finally crash on our beds, particularly after a long busy day. The same is just as true in regards to our canine buddies. Dogs can sleep anywhere based on what is currently available for them. The furry little guy will always beam at you and greet you with sweet wet licks every morning regardless of what bed he has. But as a loving and responsible fur-parent, you cannot endure seeing your dog nestling in a pile of rags. And hence, you are here today trying to figure out which type of bed he deserves. There are various types of dog beds out there and if you are unsure, you can start with a bolster bed.
So, why choose a bolster bed?
A bolster dog bed features raised edges, which benefits small, anxious dogs. It is also ideal for large dogs that want to establish a sense of security, a trait that modern dogs acquired from wolves. Most importantly, a bolster dog bed is perfect if your furry pal loves to curl in a ball or if he loves to put his head on a pillow when snoozing.
A dog bed with bolsters also skips the need for a couch since it resembles a lounging sofa. Rest assured, you’ll no longer find mud tracks and pet hair on your designer couch!
Now, let us have a look at 10 of the best dog beds with bolsters that you can buy for your furry pal today.
Best Dog Beds with Bolster
1. PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed & Lounge
Best Extra Large Bolster Dog Bed
Swap your buddy’s shabby rag with the stylish PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed & Lounge. The Ultimate Lounge highlights premium components, including a 4-inch thick memory foam that provides unrivaled comfort and support. This orthopedic bed is especially helpful for senior dogs with arthritis and hip/elbow dysplasia, which are common problems in large canines.
Furthermore, this product is compatible with all breeds since it is available in multiple sizes. It is wise to opt for the largest size if you have a hulking best-friend who loves to stretch out when sleeping. And as you can see, this bed has a contemporary design that can blend perfectly within any modern home.
- 4-inch thick memory foam base for excellent orthopedic support
- the outer bolster is generously filled with eco-friendly polyfill
- water-resistant bolster cover
- made with hypoallergenic and breathable materials
- includes a waterproof inner liner to protect memory foam from spills
- the bed is conveniently enclosed with separate removable and machine washable covers
- made with reliable stitching and industrial-quality zippers
- non-skid backing for improved stability
2. BarksBar Grey Orthopedic Dog Bed
Best Large Bolster Dog Bed
This particular bed from BarksBar is inarguably one of the most comfortable dog beds on the entire planet! One of its major features is its human-grade orthopedic foam construction that is designed with grooves for improved airflow. Plus, it features an ultra soft cover to make sure your dog is snoozing on cloud nine.
- 4-inch thick grooved orthopedic foam topped with a layer of ultra-soft cotton padding to provide deep cushioning
- velvety smooth quilted cover for added comfort
- generously filled cotton-padded walls
- built-in non-skid rubber backing prevents slipping
3. Friends Forever Premium Orthopedic Dog Bed
Best Memory Foam Bolster Dog Bed
This dog bed from Friends Forever was certainly designed for our sweet furry pals who love to curl up and snuggle! One of its most amazing assets is its 100% suede cover, which surely provides a one-of-a-kind sleeping experience. To top it off, this bed boasts of a 3.5-inch thick memory foam; and thus, it provides excellent support.
- 100% suede cover
- 3.5-inch thick memory foam
- a well-constructed dog bed with seamless stitching and industrial-quality zippers
- has a low, open profile for easy access
- dander and pet hair won’t embed into the fabric
- enclosed with waterproof and stain-free covers
- all covers are removable and machine washable
4. The Dog’s Bed by The Dog’s Balls
Best Waterproof Bolster Dog Bed
If you want a comfy dog bed that is also impervious to liquids, you can never go wrong with The Dog’s Bed from the company known as The Dog’s Balls! This particular bed is ideal for senior dogs and convalescing dogs who are prone to making accidents at home. This 6-inch thick bed is complete with a water-resistant liner to protect your investment from urine, drool, vomit, and whatnot. It also provides orthopedic support, which matters the most.
- 4-inch thick high-density foam base plus…
- 2-inch thick memory foam for orthopedic support
- includes a waterproof liner to protect the base foam
- hypoallergenic faux fur surface for superior comfort
- replacement covers are available
- wide entrance for easy access
5. Petlo Orthopedic Pet Sofa Bed
Best Bolster Dog Bed with a Removable Cover
This two-in-one bed from Petlo features a 5-inch thick high-density foam construction. No trace of substandard foam, cotton batting, or cedar chips can be found in this sturdy bed. In regards to ease of cleaning, the Petlo Orthopedic Pet Sofa Bed is definitely leading, as well. Its water-resistant covers are among the easiest to remove and wash. It also cleans up with a pretty straightforward spot cleaning. Additionally, its bolster and foam covers can withstand scratching and chewing.
- features a solid high-density foam construction that is 5 inches thick
- covers are made with tear- and scratch-resistant polycotton fabric
- water-resistant covers are a breeze to maintain
- easily vacuum or wipe off dander, dirt, and dog hair between cleanings
6. FurHaven NAP Plush Faux Fur and Suede Orthopedic Sofa Bed
Best Small Bolster Dog Bed
Whether it’s for an interlude in the afternoon or a good night’s sleep, your pooch will surely love to lallygag his tooshie on this sofa-style bed from FurHaven! It features a cushy faux fur sleeping surface and an egg-crate style orthopedic foam, giving your little buddy a well-deserved luxury. Most of all, this bed is CertiPUR-US Certified, so rest assured your beloved pet doesn’t inhale toxic fumes while he sleeps.
- faux fur sleeping surface for an oh-so-cozy sleeping experience
- egg-crate style orthopedic foam reduces pressure and improves airflow
- made with eco-friendly materials, such as recycled water bottles
- low VOC emissions
- certiPUR-US Certified
7. K&H Ortho Bolster Sleeper
Best Body Support Bolster Dog Bed
With the Ortho Bolster Sleeper, your furry pal can finally look forward to better nights! This bed is comprised of a 3-inch thick medical-grade orthopedic foam, while its bolster is generously filled with eco-friendly polyfill. What’s more, it features an upholstery-grade and super-soft microfleece sleeping surface to help cradle your canine buddy to sleep. Rest assured arthritic dogs can finally sleep deep and wake up like a ball of fire.
- 3-inch orthopedic foam base for excellent support
- features an upholstery-grade velvet and super-soft microfleece surface for a luxurious sleeping experience
- removable and machine washable covers
8. K&H Original Bolster Pet Cot
Best Dog Bed with Removable Bolsters
Your tail-wagger will surely love to hang out in this hammock-style bed from K&H. Their Original Bolster Pet Cot is ideal for warm climates as it elevates your dog off the ground, allowing continuous air to flow. Likewise, it features a breathable mesh center to help body heat escape. If your pet doesn’t want to curl up on a hot afternoon, you may simply remove its waterproof bolster so he can sprawl out. Additionally, this cot is convenient for camping, picnics, and whatnot.
- great for indoor and outdoor use
- sturdy frame can hold more than 150 lbs.
- breathable mesh repels bacteria, odors, mold, and mildew
- very easy to clean
- the removable bolster is safe for machine wash
- complete with non-skid rubber feet for stability
- tool-free configuration
9. FurHaven Plush & Suede Orthopedic Sofa Bed
Best Orthopedic Bolster Dog Bed
Big or small, your canine buddy will surely fall fast asleep on the luxurious FurHaven Plush & Suede Orthopedic Sofa Bed. This high-quality bed uses an egg-crate style orthopedic foam layered with a plush faux fur. It is purposely designed to provide maximum airflow and to minimize the pressure on your dog’s joints. Lastly, it has a wide entry point to allow senior or arthritic dogs to climb in and out of the bed in a jiffy.
- egg-crate style orthopedic foam base with a soft faux fur sleeping surface for comfort
- made with breathable materials
- wide access
- water-resistant poly-canvas underside
- the entire cover is removable and safe for machine wash
10. Serta Orthopedic Quilted Couch Bed
Best Easy-to-Clean Bolster Dog Bed
Send your sleepy tail-wagger to dreamland in the unrivaled luxury of the Serta Orthopedic Quilted Couch Bed. This product features the same applied technology used in producing beds for the no.1 mattress company in America. Its 4-inch premium-quality egg-crate style foam is particularly helpful for aging or arthritic dogs. Likewise, it has a cushy, quilted surface that makes any dog feel so pampered. Take note that this bed is also a cinch to clean!
- 4-inch thick premium-quality foam base for exceptional support
- ultra soft quilted sleeping surface for maximum comfort
- conveniently enclosed in a removable and machine washable cover
What to Look for in a Bolster Bed
Would you rather search for the best bolster dog bed that can last for several years or grab the cheapest one you can find? If you don’t want to end up buying multiple dog beds in a short period, be sure to check out for the following features before you hit that “Buy Now” button.
A bed that does not fit is completely worthless. Before you check the product for its bells and whistles, be sure it fits. With a measuring your tape, determine the length of your dog starting from his head to his rear. Choose a bed that has a few extra inches to ensure your pooch can turn around when he needs to.
The best bolster dog bed uses high-density foam. Otherwise, it will sag and lose its form in a matter of months. Cheap filling won’t suffice, particularly if you have a heavy, agile dog.
The bolster must be able to support your dog’s head and provide added comfort. Lastly, the covers should be able to withstand chewing and scratching. Many dogs tend to dig and knead their sleeping area.
Introducing your dog to a memory foam bed can help delay the onset of degenerative diseases, such as arthritis and hip/elbow dysplasia. A dog bed that provides orthopedic effects doubles as a healing tool and a preventative measure against painful, swollen joints.
An orthopedic bed supports your dog’s full weight. Rather than sinking in, your dog is pushed back and every crevice of your dog’s body is contoured. Thereby, the pressure is evenly distributed throughout his body, rather than on his joints.
Ease of cleaning
Maintaining the cleanliness of your dog’s bed is essential to eliminate bacterial load, parasites, and mold caused by dirt, dander, and saliva. So, be sure your dog’s bed has removable covers that you can toss in a washing machine.
If the manufacturer offers replacement covers, the easier it is to keep your dog’s bed in top shape.
If the dog bed you choose can repel liquids, the better. Water resistance is important, especially if you have an aging or a convalescing dog. A dog bed enclosed with a water-resistant fabric can hold liquids for quite some time; and hence, you can wipe it off using a damp cloth before it reaches the foam.
Better yet, choose a dog bed with a waterproof cover to ensure maximum protection against accidents. A waterproof cover is your best ally against urine smell and grime. Likewise, it is easier to remove fresh stains and dirt on a waterproof cover.
Choose a dog bed with a non-slip backing as much as possible. This feature is particularly helpful if you have a dog who loves to charge at his bed. A non-slip backing prevents the bed from rocking or slipping when your dog makes a move.
But if you’re confident that your dog is well-behaved, you may skip this feature. Or better yet, you can train your rowdy dog to approach his bed in a calmer manner.
Free of toxic materials
Don’t allow your dog to breathe in respiratory irritant while he is off to dreamland! Be sure the dog bed you choose is made of safe, reliable and eco-friendly materials. Beware of dog beds that are treated with flame retardants, heavy metals, and other potential toxins. Mommy dogs, puppies, and senior dogs are highly vulnerable to the effects of hazardous chemicals. As much as possible, choose a bed that has passed strict CertiPUR-US standards.