Flea Collars Buyer’s Guide
What Does a Flea Collar Protect from?
A flea collar should protect your dog both from fleas and ticks in the area. Fleas and ticks are generally treated in the same way, but they are essentially different creatures; fleas are insects whereas ticks are arachnids. They both feed on blood from dogs, humans, and other mammals.
Once you notice a couple of fleas around your dog, you are only looking at a fraction of the problem. The problem is fleas can lay up to 50 eggs in a day, and getting rid of them can be a difficult process. After getting rid of the fleas on your dog, you will often have to find ways to remove the infestation from your house.
Ticks can be harder to spot than fleas since they often lay in the grass, waiting for their victim to approach so that they can climb them and feed on them. Apart from being hardly visible and parasitic, they are often the carriers of many different dangerous diseases such as Rocky Mountain spotted fever of Lyme disease. Getting rid of ticks is vital both for your dog and your or other members of your family, especially if your dog lives inside or if you spend a lot of time playing with him.
Why a Flea Collar?
There are many products on the market dedicated to protecting your dog from fleas, ticks, and other parasites which can cause harm and even infect your dog with some life-threatening disease. Some treatments include various protective shampoos and oil treatments which contain certain insecticides that provide a strong barrier against various parasites. However, these treatments are often temporary and last for a limited amount of time. Additionally, if your dog gets wet often, this will significantly reduce the effect of the treatment.
Flea collars can be very strong and they can last for as much as three months. This means that your dog will stay protected for as long as he wears his protective collar. Flea collars are very friendly for dog owners as well since they don’t have to worry whether they forgot to treat the dog with some other method. As long as the dog wears his collar, it is safe and the owner will be relieved. Collars are also not as toxic as other treatments and the dog does not get in touch with toxins directly.
What to Consider When Purchasing a Flea Collar?
The first thing you need to pay attention to is the durability of the collar. It needs to be strong in order to stay on the dog since we all know how active dogs can be. Apart from that, the fit is very important. Your dog will absolutely hate his new collar if it is very tight and prevents him from breathing normally. The perfect flea collar should maintain contact with the neck but still allow an inch or two of space underneath.
If you want to receive the best performance, buy a collar which can last for a long time. Collars are not so cheap, and taking care of a full-grown dog can turn out to be very expensive. You would want to squeeze out every bit of protection out of your dog collar if you want to get what you paid for. Also, make sure that your flea collar is able to deal with both fleas and ticks since they both pose a threat to your dog. It would be the best if you could use the same product to handle both of these problems.
When is a Dog Collar a Bad Idea?
A dog collar is always the best choice and there are some instances when it is the best to simply avoid it. For example, pregnant or nursing dogs should not be exposed to insecticides of any sorts since it is bad to expose puppies to it at an early age. Additionally, if you have small children or other dogs in the house, it might not be the best idea for one dog to wear a collar. This is because dogs tend to fight playfully and if another dog bites the collar, it can swallow a certain amount of toxin, which is not good. The same goes for children who spend a lot of time with dogs. Small children tend to put everything in their mouth, and this can happen after touching the collar.
Some dogs simply can’t handle collars and the will scratch it until you put it off. This can also occur if the collar is too tight and they will feel uncomfortable. If the dog can’t tolerate his collar, you will simply have to find another alternative. Some dogs like to be in water often and you should take off their collar when they choose to submerge in water since that makes the collar less efficient.
Top Dog Flea Collar Reviews
1. Bayer Seresto
This high-quality product offers a long-term protection for your dog and it can last up to eight months. The good thing is that this collar offers protection from both fleas and ticks and your dog will finally be able to get rid of the problem that has been bothering him for a while. The collar repels and kills these parasites with a non-greasy, odorless preventive insecticide. The active ingredients used for this collar are released in low concentrations and they stay in the dog’s hair and skin for up to eight months. Parasites are killed as soon as they get in contact with these active ingredients.
- Long-term protection is guaranteed and your dog will stay safe from fleas for the entire year since the flea season is six months at most.
- There are two sizes available: one for small and one for big dogs.
- The toxins used are odorless and they are released in very small quantities – meaning that children that get in touch won’t get poisoned.
- The product is a bit expensive
- It can be hard to find the right one since there is a variety of similar products from the same manufacturer
2. Hartz UltraGuard
Best for Large Dogs
Another great bargain also comes from Hartz where they offer a pack of two collars for large dogs for a low price. This is not a miracle worker for fleas and you will need several extra treatments in order to really protect your dog. Customer reviews are mixed in their opinions but the general statement is that the price is really worth a shot and even if this collar does not stop fleas and ticks entirely, it is still a valuable tool in the fight.
- The price is very affordable for everyone, and it's easier to settle down for this purchase than to buy an expensive collar and end up regretting it.
- It can form a strong barrier when used alone or with another good flea treatment.
- It is efficient and it really does its job when it comes to killing fleas and ticks.
- Some customers have reported how this product does not work at all for certain dog breeds.
- You need to be very careful when handling this product and you shouldn't let your small children play with the dog while he is wearing the collar
3. Scalibor Protector Band for Dogs
This Scalibor Protector Band is manufactured by Intervet and they offer a revolutionary solution when it comes to dog flea collar sizing. This product arrives in one size only and it can be easily adjusted to fit all dogs. It is recommended that the dog is older than 12 weeks since it can affect younger dogs in a bad manner. The manufacturer states that the protection is guaranteed to last at least six months, which is a good protection time. It protects your dog from both fleas and ticks and it is water resistant, meaning that its effect won’t diminish if your dog likes to spend a lot of time in the water.
- Vets from all around the world recommend this collar and it is sure to bring immediate results.
- Many customers have reported an immediate decrease in fleas and tick number on the dog, but also in their area, like the backyard or even the house.
- It’s water-resistant, which is very important if your dog likes to get wet.
- The price is a bit higher than the one of other items on our list, with the same or lower protection time.
- Some dogs have experiences rash after wearing this collar.
4. Hartz UltraGuard Plus
Best Budget Flea Collar
This collar is manufactured by Hartz and it is sure to bring something new to the market since the price is unbeatable and they claim that this collar offers full 7 months of protection. This product is fully suitable for dogs whose neck is no more than 22” wide. Additionally, this product is not recommended for puppies whose immune system is not fully developed and it is the best if you used this collar for dogs older than 12 weeks. It is water resistant and its effect will not diminish is submerged under water.
- The price tag on this flea collar is unbeatable it’s a very good bargain since you can test it out without feeling like you lost a large amount of money.
- Its effect is very lengthy and you can adjust to fit almost any dog.
- Some dogs simply don’t tolerate some of the chemicals used.
- It’s not odorless at all and it can leave a strong smell in the house if used for a long time.
5. JOEOR Flea Collar and Tick Control for Dogs
With the economy being what it is right now, getting a flea and tick collar might seem more than necessary but believe us, it is well worth every penny especially if you choose a product like the JOEOR Flea Collar and Tick Control for Dogs.
It offers a fast and reliable method of eliminating fleas and ticks without harming your pet or the environment. This collar uses an amazing blend of natural ingredients: citronella, lemon oil, clove oil, peppermint oil, and eucalyptus oil. It is free of potential toxins such as heavy metals and AZO dyes. You can start seeing dead fleas after a day you put the collar on your dog. Most importantly, it is allergy-free!
In addition, this collar highlights a waterproof design - which means, nothing will stop you and your furry pal from enjoying your favorite water games! Likewise, you will stop worrying about picking up any buggy hitchhikers, especially during the hot summer months. This collar is also a cinch to tie around your dog’s neck. It is a one-size-fits-all type of collar and hence, there is no problem searching for a snug fit for either your largest or smallest canine buddy.
- kills adult fleas as fast as 48 hours
- provides 24/7 protection for 8 months
- suitable for puppies 7 months onwards
- has waterproof technology
- targets both fleas and ticks
- kills parasites in all life stages
- eliminates a serious flea infestation
- uses natural essential oils for an allergy-free protection
- suitable for all dog breeds
- eco-friendly and veterinary-approved
- some customers mentioned that its citronella scent is slightly overwhelming
6. LOVATIC Flea and Tick Prevention Collar for Dogs
The LOVATIC Flea Tick Prevention Collar for Dogs is also an option worth considering. This product does a peachy job when it comes to wiping out fleas and ticks, as it harnesses the antiseptic and healing prowess of garlic and lemon extracts. These essential oils are easily absorbed deep into your dog’s skin without harming him. This collar is 100% natural to boot. It is free from toxic chemicals and hence, even your most sensitive canine friend can reap the benefits it provides.
Moreover, this product features waterproof resistance. Rest assured it would not lose its efficacy in spite of frequent baths and playtime. This collar measures 25 inches long; thus, you can adjust the collar as far as needed to achieve a snug fit. Wearing this collar for eight months straight ceases the lifecycle of both fleas and ticks.
- targets both fleas and ticks
- provides 24/7 protection for 8 months
- has waterproof technology
- breaks the lifecycle of fleas and ticks to prevent re-infestation
- hypoallergenic and 100% natural
- suitable for all dog breeds
- has a certain smell that some dogs mind
7. Rolf Club 3D
The Rolf Club 3D Flea Collar for Dogs, which is a beautiful product imported from Germany, is one of the best collars you can get for your canine buddy. This collar is ideal for camping and hiking, as the collar repels not only ticks and fleas but malaria-carrying mosquitoes as well. The best thing we love about this collar is that you will start seeing dead fleas 24 hours after use. It aims to provide your furry pal with exemplary flea and tick treatment on a par with conventional methods. We guarantee that its “knock-down effect” would not cause harm to your pet. In fact, Germany’s best veterinarians tested this product’s updated formula. It guarantees safety and efficacy that could last for six months.
Moreover, this incredible collar comes in three different lengths: 29.5 inches, 25.4 inches, and 15.6 inches. It also features water resistance to keep your dog protected whether it sizzles or drizzles. Although its effect is two months shorter compared to other collars on this list, we bet you will be impressed with this product nonetheless.
- veterinary tested 100% safe for dogs
- no side effects, color bleeding, etc.
- broad-spectrum collar (kills fleas, larvae, and ticks)
- kills adult fleas within 24 hours
- repels mosquitoes
- charming 3D design with water-resistance
- available in multiple sizes (no more cutting)
- emits a strong odor at first but will quickly go away
- provides 6 months’ worth of protection only
- mosquito-repelling properties fade away after 5 days
8. Preventic Collar by Virbac
Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Lyme disease are just two of the many maladies that ticks can bring to your home. Unfortunately, these pests seem omnipresent and thrive best at the onset of summer. Since you could not wear a tick collar on your ankle, make sure you tie the best tick collar around your dog’s neck. Introducing, Virbac’s 25-inch Preventic Collar!
This product is strictly a tick collar but you can use it as an adjunct to your chosen flea treatment. Its active ingredient is Amitraz, which is an acaricide, a scabicide, and an insecticide. The chemicals, which have spread on your dog’s skin and coat, poison any tick that tries to snack on your dog. Thus, the ticks fall off because of paralysis and quickly die. It exhibits 97% efficacy in targeting a wide range of ticks including the Brown dog tick, the Lone Star tick the Deer tick and the American brown tick. Ticks would not last a day with this collar.
Weighing only 27.5 grams, this collar would feel barely there. It will protect your dog from ticks lurking around whether it rains or shines. However, dogs weighing at least 60 pounds and are eight weeks old are the only ones qualified to use this product. Take note that this collar works only for a period of three months, so be sure you get an extra one.
- kills a wide range of ticks including the Brown dog tick, the Lone Star tick, the Deer tick, and the American brown tick
- also prevents mange mites
- exhibits 97% efficacy within a three-month period
- fastest broad-spectrum tick-killing collar (kills ticks within 24 hours)
- lightweight and waterproof
- measures 25 inches long
- sensitive dogs may react negatively to its active ingredient
- young children should avoid direct contact with the collar
- only for medium to large dog breeds weighing more than 60 lbs.
9. Arava Flea and Tick Prevention Collar
The Arava Flea and Tick Prevention Collar is the first collar that featured the unique Israeli patented Micro-Injection Technology. Arava firmly believes that Mother Nature has its incredible ways to protect our precious pets from pesky insects and bugs. It harnesses the antiseptic, repellant, and nourishing properties of herbal essential oils such as peppermint, cinnamon, clove, rosemary, eucalyptus, lemongrass, thyme, and so much more. These ingredients are injected into the collar to further maximize their effects and are slowly released via the special pores in the collar.
However, bear in mind that this product does not kill fleas or ticks. It is important that you first solve your dog’s current flea and tick issue, as well as treat your house with special solutions before you use this collar. Nevertheless, you can expect a stellar performance from Arava Flea and Tick Prevention Collar in regards to flea and tick prevention.
- prevents flea and tick re-infestation for 150 days
- 100% natural (infused with 11 active botanical ingredients and essential oils)
- features Micro-Injection technology with Slow-Release
- waterproof and highly adjustable
- suitable for small, medium, large dogs with an either dense or thick coat
- does not contain chemical pesticides
- MSDS tested and FDA certified
- one-size-fits-all design
- only repels fleas and ticks
- only effective when used after a successful flea and tick treatment
- emits a strong aromatic smell that some dogs and people are sensitive to
10. GORAUL Dog Flea Collar
Families with young children should choose the GORAUL Dog Flea Collar. It is a safe and reliable preventative against ticks and fleas, thanks to its blend of natural oils including citronella and eucalyptus. It is absolutely safe for your child to hug his fur-brother who is wearing it. This collar will not cause harm to the environment as well. What is more, the eucalyptus oil it contains helps soothe itchy and irritated skin due to fleabites. Take note that this product can last for about eight months at a fair cost.
In addition, the GORAUL Dog Flea Collar features a one-size-fits-all design. It measures 25 inches long, so you can achieve a snug fit regardless of your dog’s breed or size. Another excellent benefit of this collar is its water-resistance that allows keeping your dog protected no matter the weather.
- will not cause skin irritation when exposed to children who cuddle and play roughhouse with dogs
- adopts an economical way of keeping fleas and ticks at bay
- lasts for approximately 8 months
- water-resistant design
- measures 25 inches long
- better suited as an adjunct but does not help much with a current infestation