A chameleon is not one of those common pets that people have. At the same time, it is not a difficult pet as long as you have some experience or do proper research beforehand. If you want to have them as yours, the first important thing is to take care of their habitat, so that your pet can easily adapt to its new life.
Pet cages for chameleons need to be a little elaborate. It must also have proper humidity and with a lot of greenery for a healthy and happy existence of your pet chameleon. A better habitat can keep your pet active.
A chameleon pet cage is a huge terrarium. It is always better in terms of temperature if the cage is made out of glass. And as far as the dimensions are concerned, the bigger, the better.
How to Buy the Best Cage for Your Pet Chameleon?
While buying a chameleon cage, you will have to consider many different aspects so as to choose the best chameleon cage for your dearest pet. While there are many to pick from, the following are the factors that must be considered and cannot be missed.
As already mentioned, the bigger the cage is, the better it is. Since chameleons are arboreal, meaning they live on trees and plants, the cage must have a lot of room for foliage and for your pet chameleon to move around, play, and explore. When talking about the size, also make sure you have enough space to accommodate the cage in a place with the appropriate temperature and natural lighting. It is better if this room is not a frequently used room. So, make sure the cage you buy has enough room for your pet, and that it is placed in a room with quiet ambiance.
Temperature and Humidity
Some chameleons prefer their atmosphere to be more humid than others. Their needs depend on and vary according to each variety. Generally, the ideal humidity level lies somewhere between 50-70%, but again, it depends on the species.
Always maintain the temperature of the room according to the chameleon by adjusting them accordingly since this is very important for the wellbeing of your pet chameleon. The average chameleon requires a daytime temperature range from about 77-87° F, and a night temperature of 65-75 °F. It is always advisable to have a thermometer and humidity gauge handy. In case you sense a rise or fall in the temperature, you can always verify using these. Sometimes, in order to maintain the ideal temperature, you may need to fix extra lighting or keep spraying water to balance the humidity.
The right type of tree can also contribute to a perfect temperature. Hence when you buy a cage, you will have to check if the cage is made of glass or mesh to maintain the appropriate temperature.
Lighting is another important aspect to be looked into because it provides not just light but also helps in the adjustment of the temperature to keep your pet chameleon comfortable and healthy. The lighting must provide enough heat to reach the ideal temperature for the chameleon and at the same time, the foliage in the cage must remain unaffected. Heat-emitting bulbs and basking bulbs are good choices.
Since the pet is largely kept indoors, it is not exposed to ultraviolet B rays as much as it needs to be – to produce the required Vitamin D for the body. Lack of exposure to Ultraviolet rays may lead to a lot of diseases in your pet chameleon and can affect their bones in particular. Finding bulbs that emit Ultraviolet B rays is a good way for your pet to obtain the rays.
Some species of chameleon may need lighting up to as long as twelve hours every day. In case of lack of lighting during the day, they may need lighting even at night to regulate their temperature. There are many types of bulbs available that have the bulb part protected so that it is less prone to breakage. Also, realizing the importance of the lighting, it is always imperative to keep a spare bulb handy. The cage that you buy may already contain lighting. If not, you may want to add your own lighting. Make sure there are adequate provisions to fit the light.
Accommodation of Plants
One must be very careful with the plants that are placed inside the terrarium or the chameleon cage. Your pet chameleon is prone to eating them, and so are the bugs that you feed your pet chameleon with. Hence, it is desirable to place plants that are non-toxic in the cage. You may need to repot some plants once you buy them. The plants too must be taken care of well since they are vital for your pets.
They must be monitored consistently to check if the roots are coming out of the soil. If yes, then repotting needs to be done. The cage must be spacious enough to accommodate the plants and their huge roots. It must be sturdy enough to support the pots. When the cage needs to be moved, you must be able to do so without disturbing the plants.
Resistance to Rust
We know the importance of the perfect temperature for the healthy living of the pet chameleon. In places that have low humidity, you may have to mist water occasionally to maintain the proper humidity and temperature. Further, the foliage within the cage needs to be watered. An ideal method would be to attach a source of water permanently. A dripper will be a perfect choice. It will keep the plants in the cage well-irrigated and your pet well-hydrated. Hence, the cage is always exposed to water. This increases the chances of rust. The cage must be resistant to rust. Also, make sure if there are provisions to fit a dripper easily.
The factors that are listed above play an important role in having a chameleon as a pet. Hence, while buying a cage for your pet, all the above must be taken into consideration. Based on the products available in the market, here is a list of chameleon cages that are considered to be the best.
Top 5 Best Chameleon Cages
1. Zoo Med ReptiBreeze
Reptibreeze by Zoo Med is an open air aluminum cage. It weighs 6.75 pounds and has a dimension of 36.2x18x2.1 inches. It is a wonderful choice for your pets like the chameleon and other arboreal species. It has a large front door, which facilitates access to the cage and it also comes with a bottom door that renders it easy to remove the substrate.
The Zoo Med Reptibreeze open-air cage comes with all of the needed hardware. Once you receive the product, all you have to do is to assemble the parts and screw them together. The Zoo Med Reptibreeze cage is easy to clean and access, thus providing a clean environment for your pet. The cage is made up of corrosion-resistant black aluminum, which is very beautiful to look and very durable to use.
- The cage is corrosion resistant
- It is very easy to clean
- The cage can be accessed easily
- The door has openings that make it extremely easy to use them
- The extra fittings like lighting do not come with this
- It may not be suitable for slightly larger pets. Hence it is advised to consider the dimensions before buying
2. Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Screen Cage
If your pet is a tiny species, then the Zoo Med ReptiBreeze open-air screen cage (medium) is a perfect choice. It weighs 4.95 pounds with a shipping weight of 5 pounds. Its dimensions are 30 x 16 x 30 inches. It is manufactured by Zoo Med Laboratories. The kit contains all the necessary hardware. Once the product is delivered to you, you must just assemble it. You can easily assemble it using the screws provided. It is easy to access and can be cleaned easily. The cage is made up of corrosion-resistant, black-colored aluminum that makes it durable and beautiful. It has a big door in the front through which you can access the cage easily. It also has a door in the bottom for the removal of the substrate.
- The cage is easy to clean
- It does not corrode easily
- Extra doors provide ease of access
The size is perfect for tiny pets. So, you may have to go for a bigger one when they outgrow this size
- It does not contain extra fittings like lighting. They must be fitted separately
3. Exo Terra Screen Terrarium
The Exo Terra Screen Terrarium (small) is an ideal choice, not just for arboreal reptiles, but also for amphibians since the air doesn’t remain stagnant in this cage. It is well-ventilated to keep the cage fresh and avoid fungus growth and odors. The temperature gradient lets your reptile regulate its body temperature.
The mesh being made up of aluminum also lets the ultraviolet B rays pass into the cage. There is a provision to place a substrate tray that will absorb excess water when you have to spray. You may also want to consider adding some additional Exo Terra background to increase the humidity. This background will also be useful in collecting water droplets that your pet may use to drink later. The latches are sturdy and protect your pets from straying out. It is very easy to assemble. It comes in a dimension of 18 x 18 x24 inches. It weighs five pounds and has a shipping weight of eight pounds. It is manufactured by Rolf C Hagen Corp.
- It is made up of corrosion-resistant aluminum
- The large front door provides complete access to the entire cage
- The cage is durable but not very sturdy
4. Zoo Med ReptiBreeze LED Deluxe Open Air Aluminum
The Zoo Med ReptiBreeze LED Deluxe is an open-air enclosure that has screens for adequate circulation of air thereby making it an ideal product for making a chameleon cage. The product is available in the dimensions of 24 x 24 x 48 inches, along with the weight observed to be 14.9 pounds. The large space in the enclosure of this terrarium could be considered as a helpful feature for the habitation of reptiles. The aluminum construction frame and the screen for resisting corrosion and rust could be adequately suited for the protection of chameleons and other arboreal reptiles to stay safe without any harm. The other facilities that can be found with this product include references to the three different settings for LED lights that can be chosen according to preference.
- The cage provides promising benefits in resistance against corrosion and rust.
- The cage could be cleaned easily and does not create any problems for accessing.
- The clear acrylic door panel provides an opportunity for clear viewing of the tank.
- The LED lights do not work according to the three specified settings.
- The additional pricing for LED lights does not seem favourable to certain customers.
- Shipping issues can lead to broken screens or scratched doors.
5. Zilla Fresh Air Screen Habitat for Reptiles
The Zilla Fresh Air Screen Habitat for reptiles by R-Zilla is specifically tailored for longevity, and the aluminum frame used for making the product validates this fact. The foremost feature of this product refers to the tough black mesh that is not subject to any kind of damage by clipping or clawing at them. The anodized aluminum frame is of foremost emphasis in the case of this product. The chameleon cage has dimensions of 18 x 30 x 30 inches with a weight of around 10 pounds. It is also essential to observe the cord port in this tank that would help with easy connection of power accessories.
- The terrarium is not easy to enter for predators and pets remain safe.
- Provides the flexibility for housing any kind of reptilian pet or tree-dwelling animals such as crested geckos, large chameleons or gargoyle geckos.
- The cage provides adequate flexibility for cleaning and access.
- The ease of assembling the product makes it one of the top options for pet reptile owners.
- Appropriate circulation and open-air experience for reptiles.
- There are no additional accessories with the cage, and everything should be purchased to make this cage better.
- Shipping may lead to damaged screens and bending of the aluminum frame.
6. Zoo Med Repti Breeze Chameleon Kit
The Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Chameleon is an absolute delight for your pet chameleon. The kit is a complete package and comes with Reptibreeze cage, a natural looking vine, cage carpet, naturalistic plant, a digital thermometer, and many more useful things for your pet chameleon.
This Zoo Med ReptiBreeze chameleon weighs 10.9 pounds, and it has a dimension of 16 x 30 x 16 inches. This product is manufactured by Deal Fisher. It has lights built within.
- The kit contains lighting that provides enough warmth and ultraviolet B rays to your pet chameleon
The kit also comes with a thermometer that will let you keep track of any increase or fall in the temperature
- It is suitable for all kinds of chameleons
- The heat and the ultraviolet B rays provided by the already fitted bulb may not be sufficient if the region you live in demands more warmth. In that case, you may have to change the bulb and fit something that provides adequate warmth
- The mesh needs to be handled carefully in order to avoid getting torn. It can be torn or affected by external objects and not by your pet chameleon
7. Zoo Med Labs Nano Breeze Aluminium Screen Cage
The Zoo Med Labs Nano Breeze Aluminium Screen Cage measures 2.4 pounds in weight and is a flexible alternative to the larger enclosures of Zoo Med’s popular Reptibreeze series of screen enclosures. The smaller size of this product is evident in the dimensions of 10 x 10 x 12 inches that can be adequately fit for small reptilians. The beauty of the product is aptly improved by the small and cute appearance of the cage that would never fall shy of becoming a perfect home for tiny reptile friends. The clarity and transparency of the acrylic front panel is also a notable feature in the case of this chameleon tank, as it could allow the owner to have a complete viewing experience of happenings inside the cage. This product has also been found to work exceptionally well with the Nano Dome or Nano Combo Dome fixture by Zoo Med.
- The cage is corrosion resistant and does not compromise on aesthetic aspects.
- The ease of cleaning the cage is aptly observed in the different routes for flexibility in accessing the interiors.
- The smaller dimensions and lower weight facilitate easy and flexible transportation.
- Tiny pets could not make it in this small chameleon terrarium.
- Accessories are not available with the shipped product and shall be purchased separately for fitting.
8. Exo Terra Screen Terrarium, Medium
The Exo Terra Screen Terrarium is available in a medium size with the assurance of the highest standards of quality. This product also has impeccable corrosion resistance properties which are topped up with the black anodized aluminum screen enclosure. The large front doors hinged to the sides are capable of allowing complete access to the interior of the chameleon terrarium. The product is also capable of maintaining a suitable temperature difference through the aluminum enclosure and also allows sufficient air flow within the cage. The product measures 24 x 18 x 36 inches by dimensions and weighs 7 pounds. The substrate tray is also a beneficial feature noted in this product for maintaining the humidity level inside the tank, and it could also be removed easily from the assembly with the help of the swiveling bottom door.
- The corrosion-resistant black anodized aluminum enclosure prevents any sort of damages to the cage.
- The large front doors do not restrict access to the cage.
- The tank is easier to clean with better access to the interiors.
- The tank provides additional options for integrating accessories to make it better.
- Highly suitable for growing pets.
- The instructions for assembling the product could be confusing at times.
- The substrate tray may not find any prominent use with the tank.
9. Exo Terra Rainforest Habitat
The Exo Terra rainforest kit is an excellent kit if you are a reptile enthusiast. It weighs one pound but has a shipping weight of 55 pounds. Its dimensions are 18 x 18 x 24 inches. The terrarium already includes all that is needed for a beginner. The terrarium comes with a front door that facilitates easy cleaning and feeding of your pet. The terrarium is specially designed by European Herpetologists. The kit is equipped with a fluorescent lighting system and has a ventilated top that allows the light to pass into the terrarium.
This kit comes with a detailed instruction manual that guides you step by step through installation, maintenance, and even decoration.
As far as decoration is concerned, it has a natural looking rocky background that will give your pet a feeling of its natural habitat. It can also be used to temporarily house larger pets than the intended size.
- The double front door that prevents escape
- Ventilation on top facilitates penetration of Ultraviolet B rays
- The front window has a ventilation system which is unique to this model
There are no bulbs included in the light hood. You will need to get it separately
- The plants that are hanging are made of cheap plastic, although the bottom ones are good
10. Exo Terra Screen Terrarium, Large
The large-size version of Exo Terra Screen Terrarium is now on sale for people looking for the best options in a chameleon cage. This product has come with almost the same features as its predecessors such as the medium-sized Exo Terra Screen Terrarium, albeit in a larger package. The chameleon cage measures around 18 x 36 x 36 inches by dimensions and weighs around 10 pounds. The non-restricted airflow in this chameleon terrarium makes it easy for reducing the growth of fungus and reducing foul odor within the habitat. The screen utilized in the tank is aptly suited for maintaining the temperature balance inside the tank perfectly. Reptiles such as chameleons and geckos are known to regulate their body temperature, and the screen in this large terrarium provides the much-needed support in maintaining the temperature at optimal levels. The aluminum screen mesh also plays a crucial feature by allowing a complete influx of UV light into the enclosure.
- Sturdy and long-lasting due to the aluminum frame and rough mesh for screens.
- Nickel-plated latches to keep the enclosure safe from predators.
- Flexibility in feeding and giving water to the pets due to the large size of terrarium.
- Customers have reported that their pet’s food is able to crawl out of the cage.
- The terrarium could pose setbacks for its transportation around the home.
The above suggestions are based on our opinions and researches. Based on your pet's activities and needs, you can choose the best from the wide range of products available in the market. However, it is very important that you consider the factors listed above while choosing to make the cage a house that your pet will love and cherish.
For reference and more researching:
- AvianandExotic, Care of Chameleons