Dogs are active, playful little creatures which require a lot of care and a lot of free time to be dedicated to them. However, there are a lot of things to consider when taking your dog out for a walk since they are very fragile. Even dogs have a large variety of diseases to look out for and the world is actually a dangerous place for them and a variety of things or other beings can pose a threat to them, from other dogs or people to cars and buses. The problem is that your dog won’t tell you if something is bothering him and you need to be able to figure this out yourself.
A large issue most dogs struggle with is fleas. Fleas bother dogs on a daily basis and it is almost as if they are waiting for him to go outside just to attach to his body. Dogs cannot get rid of them on their own and they are going to need your help. One of the best solutions available is the flea collar. It is simply a firm collar with insecticide provided which will provide a layer of protection for your pet.
Table of Contents
- Flea Collars Buyer’s Guide
- Top Dog Flea Collar Reviews
Flea Collars Buyer’s Guide
What Does a Flea Collar Protect from?
A flea collar should protect your dog both from fleas and ticks in the area. Fleas and ticks are generally treated in the same way, but they are essentially different creatures; fleas are insects whereas ticks are arachnids. They both feed on blood from dogs, humans, and other mammals.
Once you notice a couple of fleas around your dog, you are only looking at a fraction of the problem. The problem is fleas can lay up to 50 eggs in a day, and getting rid of them can be a difficult process. After getting rid of the fleas on your dog, you will often have to find ways to remove the infestation from your house.
Ticks can be harder to spot than fleas since they often lay in the grass, waiting for their victim to approach so that they can climb them and feed on them. Apart from being hardly visible and parasitic, they are often the carriers of many different dangerous diseases such as Rocky Mountain spotted fever of Lyme disease. Getting rid of ticks is vital both for your dog and your or other members of your family, especially if your dog lives inside or if you spend a lot of time playing with him.
Why a Flea Collar?
There are many products on the market dedicated to protecting your dog from fleas, ticks, and other parasites which can cause harm and even infect your dog with some life-threatening disease. Some treatments include various protective shampoos and oil treatments which contain certain insecticides that provide a strong barrier against various parasites. However, these treatments are often temporary and last for a limited amount of time. Additionally, if your dog gets wet often, this will significantly reduce the effect of the treatment.
Flea collars can be very strong and they can last for as much as three months. This means that your dog will stay protected for as long as he wears his protective collar. Flea collars are very friendly for dog owners as well since they don’t have to worry whether they forgot to treat the dog with some other method. As long as the dog wears his collar, it is safe and the owner will be relieved. Collars are also not as toxic as other treatments and the dog does not get in touch with toxins directly.
What to Consider When Purchasing a Flea Collar?
The first thing you need to pay attention to is the durability of the collar. It needs to be strong in order to stay on the dog since we all know how active dogs can be. Apart from that, the fit is very important. Your dog will absolutely hate his new collar if it is very tight and prevents him from breathing normally. The perfect flea collar should maintain contact with the neck but still allow an inch or two of space underneath.
If you want to receive the best performance, buy a collar which can last for a long time. Collars are not so cheap, and taking care of a full-grown dog can turn out to be very expensive. You would want to squeeze out every bit of protection out of your dog collar if you want to get what you paid for. Also, make sure that your flea collar is able to deal with both fleas and ticks since they both pose a threat to your dog. It would be the best if you could use the same product to handle both of these problems.
When is a Dog Collar a Bad Idea?
A dog collar is always the best choice and there are some instances when it is the best to simply avoid it. For example, pregnant or nursing dogs should not be exposed to insecticides of any sorts since it is bad to expose puppies to it at an early age. Additionally, if you have small children or other dogs in the house, it might not be the best idea for one dog to wear a collar. This is because dogs tend to fight playfully and if another dog bites the collar, it can swallow a certain amount of toxin, which is not good. The same goes for children who spend a lot of time with dogs. Small children tend to put everything in their mouth, and this can happen after touching the collar.
Some dogs simply can’t handle collars and the will scratch it until you put it off. This can also occur if the collar is too tight and they will feel uncomfortable. If the dog can’t tolerate his collar, you will simply have to find another alternative. Some dogs like to be in water often and you should take off their collar when they choose to submerge in water since that makes the collar less efficient.
Top Dog Flea Collar Reviews
1. Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs
This high-quality product offers a long-term protection for your dog and it can last up to eight months. The good thing is that this collar offers protection from both fleas and ticks and your dog will finally be able to get rid of the problem that has been bothering him for a while. The collar repels and kills these parasites with a non-greasy, odorless preventive insecticide. The active ingredients used for this collar are released in low concentrations and they stay in the dog’s hair and skin for up to eight months. Parasites are killed as soon as they get in contact with these active ingredients.
- Long-term protection is guaranteed and your dog will stay safe from fleas for the entire year since the flea season is six months at most.
- There are two sizes available: one for small and one for big dogs.
- The toxins used are odorless and they are released in very small quantities – meaning that children that get in touch won’t get poisoned.
- The product is a bit expensive
- It can be hard to find the right one since there is a variety of similar products from the same manufacturer
2. Hartz UltraGuard Flea & Tick Collar for Large Dogs
Another great bargain also comes from Hartz where they offer a pack of two collars for large dogs for a low price. This is not a miracle worker for fleas and you will need several extra treatments in order to really protect your dog. Customer reviews are mixed in their opinions but the general statement is that the price is really worth a shot and even if this collar does not stop fleas and ticks entirely, it is still a valuable tool in the fight.
- The price is very affordable for everyone, and it’s easier to settle down for this purchase than to buy an expensive collar and end up regretting it.
- It can form a strong barrier when used alone or with another good flea treatment.
- It is efficient and it really does its job when it comes to killing fleas and ticks.
- Some customers have reported how this product does not work at all for certain dog breeds.
- You need to be very careful when handling this product and you shouldn’t let your small children play with the dog while he is wearing the collar
3. Scalibor Protector Band for Dogs
This Scalibor Protector Band is manufactured by Intervet and they offer a revolutionary solution when it comes to dog flea collar sizing. This product arrives in one size only and it can be easily adjusted to fit all dogs. It is recommended that the dog is older than 12 weeks since it can affect younger dogs in a bad manner. The manufacturer states that the protection is guaranteed to last at least six months, which is a good protection time. It protects your dog from both fleas and ticks and it is water resistant, meaning that its effect won’t diminish if your dog likes to spend a lot of time in the water.
- Vets from all around the world recommend this collar and it is sure to bring immediate results.
- Many customers have reported an immediate decrease in fleas and tick number on the dog, but also in their area, like the backyard or even the house.
- It’s water-resistant, which is very important if your dog likes to get wet.
- The price is a bit higher than the one of other items on our list, with the same or lower protection time.
- Some dogs have experiences rash after wearing this collar.
4. Hartz Ultraguard Plus Flea & Tick Dog Collar – Budget Flea Collar
This collar is manufactured by Hartz and it is sure to bring something new to the market since the price is unbeatable and they claim that this collar offers full 7 months of protection. This product is fully suitable for dogs whose neck is no more than 22” wide. Additionally, this product is not recommended for puppies whose immune system is not fully developed and it is the best if you used this collar for dogs older than 12 weeks. It is water resistant and its effect will not diminish is submerged under water.
- The price tag on this flea collar is unbeatable it’s a very good bargain since you can test it out without feeling like you lost a large amount of money.
- Its effect is very lengthy and you can adjust to fit almost any dog.
- Some dogs simply don’t tolerate some of the chemicals used.
- It’s not odorless at all and it can leave a strong smell in the house if used for a long time.
5. Salvo Flea & Tick Collar for Dogs – SMALL – 14 inch
This amazing product manufactured by Promika is sure to protect your dog for the entire year. The package includes two flea collars for your dog, each one lasting 6 months guaranteed, with various sources saying that the protection from a single collar can last up to 9 months. This product does not only protect from fleas and ticks, but it also offers protection from various parasites such as larvae, lice, mosquito, etc. An important advice would be to not mix the usage of this collar with other treatments such as drops or shampoos.
- What you get with this product is two dog flea collars, each one offering a full 6 months of protection. The best thing about this is the fact that the flea season usually last up to six months, which means you are good for two years after you purchase this product.
- One less thing to worry about.
- You will always need to wash your hands after handling the collar and keep an eye on small children.